Subaru Radios

The FM channels on my 05 Impreza wagon radio have finally given up, and giving it a whack no longer fixes the intermittant. Out of curiosity I asked the local dealer what a new radio would cost, expecting about $200. They said they had never ordered one before, because the price was truely outrageous ...

a mere $1640 + tax.

This for a $150 retail equivalent quality unit. Apparently they can send it out to be fixed for $150.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to BestBuy I go...

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

6 cd changer, XM/Sirus capable, built in GPS, and wi-fi too?

OEM radios are always more expensive, but this is outstanding. And they usually aren't as good as aftermarket models from the same MFG for half the price...

Too bad it didn't happen a few weeks ago before Circuit City hit the skids...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ebay.

johninky

In addition to the ebay idea - try the marketplace/w'ever at both

and maybe at
. You can find folks that have 'pull-outs' they wanna sell from whne they upgraded their own car's head units.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I wonder what people with tightly inegrated radios on Legacy/Outback lines do in case like yours. Untangle the HVAC from radio somehow??? Or the prices are more reasonable in (terminal) cases like that?

Reply to
sndive

I wonder what people with tightly inegrated radios on Legacy/Outback lines do in case like yours. Untangle the HVAC from radio somehow??? Or the prices are more reasonable in (terminal) cases like that?

Nope, you stay with the one in the car. One of our employees just bought a new impreza, under 100 miles- the cd/dvd player don't work, the nav is OK. the replacement cost is 1200.. Well, it is covered under warranty!!

Reply to
S.Hansen

One thing you might try before giving up would be to "reset" the radio. The easiest way to accomplish this is to disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery, and temporarily connect it to the positive lead; stretch it over and touch them together if there is enough slack in the cable, or use a jumper cable of some sort. Leave them in contact for a minute or so, and then re-connect to the battery. This has been known to fix issues with the OEM CD players for sure. Since you mention that the problem was intermittent and "wackable" , I'm afraid that the reset probably isn't going to help, but it doesn't cost anything to give it a try. Beyond that, your best bet for an OEM radio will be ebay, or finding one at a salvage yard. Crutchfield

is a great place to research what will fit into your car as far as aftermarket goodies go, and also a good place to pick up wiring harnesses adaptors.

Good luck! ByeBye! S.

we're back to the issue of mp3s: could that player play them off cd/ dvd/usb or what have you?

since my cd/mp3 player was stolen a month ago i guess i somehow should appreciate radios good for nothing in other types of cars.

Reply to
sndive

Funny. In 1998 my eleven year old Mazda 323 was stolen and found three days later up on blocks completely stripped. Tires and wheels were taken and under the hood, absolutely everything was removed. The only thing they left was the radio. I imagine it had no market value to the thieves.

That's when I bought my first Forester.

Reply to
Frank

we're back to the issue of mp3s: could that player play them off cd/ dvd/usb or what have you?

since my cd/mp3 player was stolen a month ago i guess i somehow should appreciate radios good for nothing in other types of cars.

The new ones are mp3/dvd and all- but I see no USB port. they can have a ipod adaptor put in. I do not know the interchangeability of units, if the HVAC is involved we have to keep it all original.

Reply to
S.Hansen

There are a few head units with USB jacks:

nobody >

Btw what's of consolation to me is that the unit that was stolen (Hyundai under $100) would take only USB drives of 1GB or less and can't play DVDs :-) Thanks for the link, for now I moved outside the US and avoid internet purchases like a plague.

Reply to
sndive