Subaru reliability?????

I just read an article here:

reliability of various makes which distresses me greatly,as I had planned on buying an Impreza TS when I relocate to Minnesota.I'm cutting and pasting a small part: "Subaru's dramatic fall, from 11th last year to 22nd this year, was largely down to costly repairs to the Impreza's engine and transmission units, with the average bill reaching £1,040."

Anyone have any input on this??????????????

Reply to
null_pointer

First off, I'd say that the article was on UK Subarus, not USA models. Given that, I'd also say that you need to research USA-spec soobies to get an accurate picture.

Reply to
Ragnar

but aren't all subies made in japan? if they're all made in jap then shouldn't they be basically the same?

Reply to
chuckles

No, Outbacks sold in the US are made in the US. I think Impezzas are made in Japan, though. Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

Outbacks are made in Indiana. Subaru Outbacks have clutch problems which seem out of the ordinary as well as engine problems (piston slap) and brake component parts problems. Toyotas seem to have much better reliability. Subarus have great all wheel drive capability.You can't have everything.

Reply to
JDC

Based on my own experience, I'm not surprised at all. I've got a 2002 WRX, which I love dearly -- when it's not in the shop. In two and a half years, I've had to deal with poor electrical grounding, a broken electric window motor, a failed center differential, a failed air conditioner compressor and now a broken air conditioning high pressure line. This is more problems than I've had in my three previous cars combined, and the last car I had that was this unreliable was a

1975 AMC Pacer. It's a shame, because I like the car when it works.

There was a time when Subaru sold itself as "inexpensive, and built to stay that way." Now it is neither.

wrote:

Reply to
zippy

which I love dearly -- when it's not in the shop. In two and a half years, I've had to deal with poor electrical grounding, a broken electric window motor, a failed center differential, a failed air conditioner compressor and now a broken air conditioning high pressure line. This is more problems than I've had in my three previous cars combined, and the last car I had that was this unreliable was a 1975 AMC Pacer. It's a shame, because I like the car when it works.

that way." Now it is neither.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not necessarily. UK-spec soobies have different engines, right-hand side drive, probably different transmissions, etc. There are a host of "spec" items that are different between USA, UK, AUS, etc. soobies.

Reply to
Ragnar

I agree. There are considerable differences between N/A scoobies and everywhere else (partly because of the lower octane fuel and different emission standards, and partly because of the lower speed limits - gearing is different). When I reasearched buying my scoobie, I talked to several owners and a friend whose wife works for a financial group that finances them. She provided me with all kinds of failure data from the industry that most of us don't generally see. There are a very high percentage of them running around with 300,000+ KM on them (180K miles), and still in good working order. The only common problem I heard of was the clutch-shudder issues in the WRX and premature clutch failures in a couple of other models. However, I drove a WRX with the clutch shudder. It wasn't that bad and it seemed to have more to do with the owner being very hard on it.

Even when the cars do fail, Subaru Canada has been very good about doing something about it. One person I spoke to had a block crack on a 98 Forrester. While the car was completely out of warranty, and the driver ignored the overheating problem, SoC covered 30% of the cost, the dealer covered 40% of the cost, and the driver paid the rest. They could have insisted that the driver cover everything.

From my experience, these are extremely reliable cars when compared to similar cars of other makes. I have owned GM and Chrysler, have family members with Fords, Hondas, and Toyotas. I would say that only the Honda was a better overall quality than the Scooby, but it does not have AWD; which is important to me.

Reply to
FNO