SUV had a run in with my sube

First off, I hope none of you ever get involved with Founders Insurance. Talk about getting a run-around!

Anyway, all I managed to get out of them is an estimate for repairs. Standard after-market stuff for this and that but the car is a 1997 so not to worry?

Does the estimate (low hourly wages?) seem pretty close to on what to expect from a auto body shop? Not that I'll have much choice. It happened 30 days ago, so Founders (so they said 2 weeks back) will have to settle with me. We'll see, we'll see.

Anywho, figure I would post the numbers in case anyone else has the unfortunate experience of having an SUV decide to change lanes with no warning.

1997 Legacy Wagon, a tad over 100,000 miles (first car I owned that made it so far!). Having a short jaunt to work keeps the mileage down.
Reply to
Duh_OZ

Well duh a link may be useful!

Duh_OZ

Who cares about cost? Will someone fix for that price? Get a repair shop that you like to work with and have them directly deal with the insurance company. Also get the insurance company to pay for a loaner. Don't know book value of your car but insurance companies may write off as totaled if estimate approaches 70% of book value and just pay that. Don't settle until you are completely satisfied. Insurance companies work for their benefit, not the insured.

Reply to
Frank

======== Unfortunately the company is being a PITA. After 3 weeks all I got was "the case is still open due to the other party not cooperating". Not cooperating being they weren't returning calls to their insurer. I'll probably have to go through my insurance and hopefully get my deductible refunded at some point in time *ugh*.

Not sure of the book value, but I'm guessing 4 to 5 K? Still runs nice and wouldn't want to get rid of it do to 'minor' body work.

Reply to
Duh_OZ

Find out who is there authorized body shops as they can electronically send the estimate to the insurance company & repair without any cost to you & most times you get a warranty on the repair Glenn K

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Yeah, that's another problem - most of their authorized body shops are friggen miles away from me. Luckily, there is one by work and that is where I got the estimate from. I hope the estimate isn't on the low end where the repair work may be shoddy. Cynic in me I guess.

BTW, they allow a stinking $21 for car rental. Where in the frick can you rent a car for $21/day! Looks like I'll be arguing over that. First I have to get them to admit they'll pay for the friggen repairs, geesh.

Reply to
Duh_OZ

You can look it up yourself with more details, but '97 Legacy base wagon with 100k is worth a little over 1/2 that on Edmunds:

Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail $1,968 $2,599 $3,4704

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

D'OH!

I'll be calling the insurance company yet again and see if I can avoid paying mine the $500 deductible and then play a waiting game while they go after the other insurance company. Almost as much fun as dealing with a car salesman :-)

Reply to
Duh_OZ

I have an advantage that two of my sons are lawyers and one works for an insurance company. When woman that wrecked my Forester refused to admit guilt even though ticketed by police, her insurance company said I would have to wait 3 weeks for police report. I went through my insurance company for repairs but one of my sons dealt with her insurance company as it can take up to a couple of years to get your deductible back. His letter got it back fast and a 2nd letter got me a settlement.

Forester was "totaled" even though damage did not look that bad. Both air bags deployed and this probably did it.

Reply to
Frank

========= Well after 40 or so days I gave up and am trying to go through my insurance agency. Claims guy taking a looksie at the car Thursday. Let's see what he has to say.

Reply to
Duh_OZ

At least it sounds like you are mobile. I had an 800 mile trip to make in a month and my Forester was undrivable so I needed a replacement asap. Insurance companies are a PITA. In the 8 days it took my insurance company to tell me the car was totaled, the posted book value dropped $100 and I had to fight with them to get it.

Reply to
Frank