SVX auto transmission

Just got a SVX from 1992.

When starting the power lamp blinks for 8 sec. after that it goes out. In my instructionbook stand, if this lamp light up for 8 sec. or more, it can be a transmisson problem, but it does not light, but blinks ???

Regards

Heine Holten Denmark

Reply to
Holten

Count the number of flashes. 16 flashes indicates a transmission problem. There is a procedure you can do to get "transmissioin trouble codes". Never did it and can't recall all the steps involved but once activated, the Power Light will flash codes. Knowing exactly what has failed sure helps. Maybe another TCU (transmission control unit) is needed. A long shot but who Knows? Often the problem is a failed or failing solenoid.

Reply to
johninKY

"johninKY" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

To day I counted the flashes, and the number was 16 ;-(((

What even more bas is; the car only pull with the rear axle ;-(

There ist absolut no grib in the front axle ??

I imported the car from Germany, and the car is never sold here in Denmark, so the Subaru-dealer in Denmark, may be not know this model.

Hope to have some input.

Regards

Heine Holten

Reply to
Holten

All is not lost. The transmission, I believe, is the same as the one used in the Legacy from that time. Though the SVX is relatively rare, transmissions from the Legacy should be easy enough to find. Unfortunately transmission problems seem pretty common with the SVX, so it is something most owners have to deal with eventually.

I've heard that someone out there makes a 5 speed conversion as well. I don't know the specifics, other than that it involves a doner 5 speed Legacy transmission. I believe the one from the Impreza works as well.

Search around the net and see what you find. Good luck, the SVX is an amazing vehicle.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Visit another website, xt6.com. Huck369 is a site moderator and the first person to do the auto to manual conversion. He still has the car and has a wealth of SVX knowledge. He may know the onboard procedure involved in pulling the transmission trouble codes.

If the transmission is shifting through all gears but with no power being transmitted to the front differential, than maybe the problem is the front differential. A transmission from an early Legacy will bolt to the ER33 engine, but I have to believe it is less strong than the SVX version. The SVX has a history of transmission and rear axle bearing failures around

125K miles. The car is just too heavy and powerful for these two components.

You really need to find the code pulling procedure. But no matter what the problem, this fix is probably going to get pretty costly.

Reply to
johninKY

You may also want to visit

Check the how-to documents. The procedure for pulling the TCU codes and what they mean is posted there. You will also find out how to fix most of the common problems with the svx.

To date at least 15 people have swapped 5 speeds (and 2 have put in 6 speeds) in their svx's. You can get a donor from almost any legacy, impreza, or forester. Another option if you need a rebuild is to use an auto box from any of these and go to a 4.11 or 4.44 gear ratio for a better launch.

Reply to
Rat