Synthetic Oil ?

Hello,

Is it true that for the newer Subaru's (all ?), they require Synthetic Oil.

Just curious:

What is "unique" in their engines that requires them to use a synthetic oil ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

My 2014 Forester (2.5L) requires it and I believe all new Subarus (as well as other makes) do.

Reply to
PAS

It is to prevent the "coking" problems all the manufacturers were having a few years back

Reply to
clare

Please don't spam your choice of anti-virus software. Learn to configure you AV to remove the inane spamifying fake signature.

Reply to
VanguardLH

[some fscking spam removed]

I think that's correct. I also believe that affects turbo only. The benefit in a normally asprated engine is better flow in cold temperatures. I think 5w designation in a mineral base oil is a nonsense. It's really 10w or 15w while with synthetic true 5w and

0wWHATEVER are easy to achieve.
Reply to
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC

Tell Chrysler, Honda and Toyota the coking problem was only on Turbos

---.with the extended drain intervals that were pretty well forced on the manufacturers by the "greenies" EVERYONE was having coking problems with the standard oils.

Reply to
clare

There are less additives in synthetic, therefore less sludge and varnish. My 2004 Forester (not a turbo) is enjoying less start-up friction (piston slap), better mileage and quieter valves.

Synthetic oil has a more linear temp curve so need less additive to achieve the viscosity of a heavier oil at the higher temps. Its better for all motors, turbo or not.

Reply to
4orester

Regarding the turbo, it is worth noting that some, if not all Subaru turbos (Forester XT's, Impreza STI's) used to have until 2011, or so, a factory mounted oil cooler. A liquid to liquid cooler, mounted in between the block and the oil filter, that used radiator fluid to cool the engine oil, ...somewhat.

Not any more. Newer turbos don't have this device.

I know all Subaru vehicles, turbo or not, require synthetic oil nowadays, but for the turbos dropping the oil cooler might have contributed to the decision to make synthetic mandatory.

Basia

2000 Impreza L Coupe 2014 Forester XT

Reply to
abjjkst

2013 Forester XT, my mistake.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

Has Subaru got to the point yet where a warning light comes on that you need to change your oil?

Reason I ask is that I've heard it happening on cars like Toyota and if you change it yourself, you need to know how to turn warning off and only dealers know how to do it.

Would be a PITA for people like me that only drive 6,000 miles/year.

Reply to
Frank

Don't know about the current Toyota's, but previous versions had a mileage only indicator with a little switch under the dash on the steering column - plainly labeled in the owner's manual.

New GMs have poil condition monitors - not sure how they reset as I have not been actively involved with one.

Reply to
clare

Friend with a Toyota was telling me about it. He changed his own oil but the change oil signal still came on and he had to go to the dealer to find out how to turn it off.

Like I say, I don't like the idea and dealers may not like it either as they push shorter oil change intervals.

Reply to
Frank

T^he Toyota van I drove at work had a light which the mechanic said had to be switched off by climbing under the dash. (Might have been timing belt) The solution was a short black piece of electricians tape strategically placed over the light so you couldn't see it. The boss had a more rigorous maintenance regime in place to cover all servicing.

Reply to
bugalugs

I'm just recalling the tire pressure sensor problem my wife had in her Forester. I had checked all the pressures and they were good but she went to the dealer and it cost $200 to replace the faulty sensor. Tape would have been one solution but it is something she would not do.

Reply to
Frank

Good question. Subaru never cared to address the issue.

Like many others, I am inclined to believe that it is a fuel savings driven effort and not a mechanical requirement at all!

Subaru probably wants thin oils to lower fuel consumption, thin conventional is likely "not good enough" so they require synthetic. Add to this the fact that most of today's synthetics are "fake" that is not PAO, nor ester, but group III+ conventional oils that undergo extensive refinement.

The new FB engines have slightly elongated stroke. Could that be it?

I doubt a minor change like that would necessitate synthetics. Synthetic oil became mandatory on most old EJ engines- since 2011, well before the FB engines appeared.

Active Valve Control System has also been around long before the synthetics requirements, so it cannot be this, either.

I wish Subaru explained the synthetic oil requirement. Their hush means fuel efficiency requirements to me, but unfortunately I cannot be 100 percent sure.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

[...]

The new FB engines are oil burners, Subaru knows about it.

Maybe Subaru just wanted a cleaner burning oil and that is why synthetics became mandatory?

Who knows?

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

The thin synthetics help fuel economy, no doubt. There are noted problems with the piston rings on the new FB engines. My 2014 Forester has not yet exhibited any such problems. I had the oil changed at 4,000 miles and regularly checked the oil level since I bought it and there is no oil consumption issue.

Reply to
PAS

An FB engine apologist?

Any suggestions why Subaru made synthetic mandatory in these troubled engines?

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

Apologist? Where do you get off with a comment like that? Thinner weight oil helps fuel economy. That's a fact. My engine hasn't consumed oil and I know have 6,000 miles on it. That's another fact. My engine has no oil consumption issue. That's a fact. Stating facts makes me an apologist?

Reply to
PAS