Tail lights won't go off! (2001 Impreza RS 2.5)

Everyone,

I own a 2001 Impreza RS 2.5 with 105,000 miles.

Last night I noticed when the car was off (and light switch turned off) that the tail lights were still on.

Otherwise, all the lights (back and front) work normally.

For the time being, for daytime driving, I've taken out the fuse which runs the tail lights to save on the battery.

So what is the problem? Is it the light switch stem on the steering wheel, or is there a relay that runs the tail lights that has gone bad?

(I did not see a tail light relay in the fuse box under the hood nor in the fuse area behind the coin drawer to the left of the steering wheel. Makes me wonder if there is a relay at all.)

Thanks!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

O.k., doing more research on the Web, I discovered the "problem" was caused by the "hidden" parking light switch (on top of the steering column) was turned on!

Yes, this is embarassing, but in my defense all I'll say is that switch is pretty well-hidden, and I never use it. (A detailing place switched it on while cleaning the dash.)

Anyway, I notice with the parking lights on that only the tail lights turn on. Since I assume some front parking lights should also turn on (and they don't), that I still have some sort of problem -- time to check the fuse...

Jon

Reply to
Jon
1) look for a rocker switch on top of the steering column.

2) turn it OFF.

3) look sheepish. (and don't forget to put back the fuses you pulled, splice the wires that you cut, and replace the bulbs that you took out, etc.)

4) welcome to the subie owners' club!

** Posted from
**
Reply to
tom klein

LOL. Yes, I'm sheepish. And I did reply already that I had found the fix. Fortunately I went no further than pulling the fuse (which is trivial to replace.) No cut wires, etc.

But, as noted, I now notice that I have no parking lights in the front, only the rear. (They should turn on either with the "evil" parking switch on top of the steering wheel column, or with the ignition on and the light switch on the stem turned on to parking lights.)

Either both bulbs are burned out, or there's a fuse/relay somewhere that controls them. Before I attempt to replace the bulbs (which looks like a real bear to do) I'd like to see about a fuse/relay. What's the odds of both front parking lights being burned out?

Thanks again!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

It's also well documented in the User manual.

Reply to
sarahs choice

Don't be too embarassed. If you search this group, it's less of an embarassment and more of a discovery that somehow graduates you from newbie Subaru owner to sophomore.

Documented in the manual or know, why Subaru makes this crazy thing work like no other car I've seen remains a mystery.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.