Temperature Gauge Operation?

Hey all,

I've got a question about temperature gauge operation. I've always owned Soobies and noticed that once the engine reaches operating temperature the temperature gauge never moves in the slightest. Yet I can feel hotter air blowing out of the heater when going up a hill and cooler air when going down so I'm sure the engine's actual temperature varies. I know the gauge works since the engine did over-heat once and the gauge slowly climbed into the red zone as I'd expect. My wife's car is a Saturn and other family members own Dodges and Fords all of which have temperature gauges that fluctuate constantly with varying operating conditions.

What is it about the gauges that is different and is there any reason why one manufacturer would choose one over the other?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike G.

In my opinion, Subaru cooling systems are over engineered and have a much larger capacity than most cars I've owned. That is the reason why once the engine reaches a normal operating temperature there is little or no fluxuation unless a real problem is present. JMHO. Ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I can vouch for that over engineered. I was sitting in traffic one day in Austin, TX during the month of June, and towing a 3300# trailer with my 01 Forester S. The temps went up to about 3/4 and as soon as I started moving, ie with 20 feet, the temps immediately dropped back down to normal. Most other cars the temp would have stayed very high and resulted in a major overheat situation.

Reply to
etienne

Hi MIke, I've got real temps on my scanner tools. Here's how it works: the temp gauge gets to normal (on my car it's just on the wave part of the thermometer icon, just below horizontal) and stays there until around

195° F. The temps goes up and down between 180° and 195° (approximati> Hey all,
Reply to
Gilles Gour

Just forgot to indicate starting temp. Hi MIke, I've got real temps on my scanner tools. Here's how it works: the temp gauge gets to normal (on my car it's just on the wave part of the thermometer icon, just below horizontal) at around 160° F and stays there until around 195° F. The temps goes up and down between 180° and

195° (approximati> Hi MIke,
Reply to
Gilles Gour