Test drive comparision of Subaru Forester and Honda CRV

I currently own a 2001 Forester-S. I had a chance to drive my friends

03 Honda CRV. Here are my thoughts and what I found:

  1. Rear seating in the CRV is definitely slightly larger than the Forester.

  2. Performance of the CRV, even with the new larger engine is lacking. Still not as nice in the city compared to the Forester torque. In particular, the bottom end is very lacking. And to some extent even on the top end. It just does not seem as powerful as the Forester.

  1. Cornering on the CRV, absolutely is not match compared to the Forester. And we are not talking about racing. Just going around corners in the city. I was able to get the tires screeching doing a left turn from a green light. That is impossible with the Forester. It feels like the vehicle is about to tip over. And understeers like a front wheel drive going around corners.

In summary I am glad I bought the Subaru instead of the CRV.

Etienne

Reply to
Etienne

In 2001, I test drove a CRV too. Do they still have that god awful power-assist steering rather than fully power steering? In the CRV as a result, you felt every damned road bump in your hands on 2001 models anyway.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I just bought a Forester two weeks ago after comparing it with Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV. Forester is smaller than the Honda, but still enough room for me -- at six feet -- to fit comfortably in back seat. Shorter is better as far as parking in the city is concerned. All three are pretty nice cars.

I didn't like the wide sideways rear opening on the Honda with the tire on the back. Forester is responsive and smooth. I didn't notice much difference going over bumps between the Honda and the Forester. I didn't test drive the Toyota.

Can't wait to try the Forester on a trip to Yellowstone late this summer.

Bill

[...]

Bill Sharpe

I just purchased a 2004 Forester XS Premium after spending a couple months thinking I would buy a CRV as my next vehicle. Having owned two other Honda's I was impressed with thier quality. I drove some CRV's and was satisfied but not thrilled with the acceleration or the ride. The day I was really ready to make a decision I drove by the Subaru dealer to look at the Forester. I had owned a Subaru wagon in the old days and loved it. After a 10 mile drive in the Forester on fwy, street and doing tight turns in an empty parking lot I went around the corner to the Honda dealership and drove a CRV EX. Here was my experience.

CRV EX: Bit more legroom and comfort. More load carrying space (especially vertical). Honda reputation. Bit more solid construction. Silly back door design and exterior spare (but I guess that's what gives you the extra space).

Forester: Hands down winner in the ride and power. Both the auto and the stick had much more torque out of the hole and a much livelier ride. A bit less comfortable seating front and back but fine. Lots more standard accessories. Comparable pricing with 2004 discount and dealer discount.

I'm really happy with the purchase. Haven't taken it off road yet but that is com> I currently own a 2001 Forester-S. I had a chance to drive my friends

Reply to
Curt

I own a Forester manual which come with a 30% low range (not avail in the auto). The Forester could do with some more power. I wish Subaru sold a six in a manual. If the Mazda Tribute had their V6 in a manual I'd be driving that now instead. I never considered the CR-V becuase it only engages RWD when the front loses grip. Not my idea of a 4WD at all. The Forester is AWD - it's always in 4WD. Mind you the manual has a similar delayed reaction problem when wheel slip is detected - see my newsnote of 7 July "auto -v- Manual".

I drove a Nissan X-Trail. Although it's also 2.5, it seemed to have more power than Forester but no low range. Would have been nice to muck around with the 2WD/auto/AWD buttons though. Groovy dash.

Quentin Moran