Time to change Timing belt?

Yes, same thing.

Same as mine.

Most definitely interference. Just as the Owners Manual is explicit about inspect/replace intervals, the genuine Suburu maintainance manual is explict about the interference issue and precautions that have to be taken when changing the belt.

44.5k seems early for a timing belt replacement. On the other hand, if while they had it apart they noticed some damage because of the failed water pump, replacement would have been appropriate (and arguably warranty-covered).

As for now, yes, start the 30/60/90/150 cycle at 44.5

I don't know what a separater plate is. There is an issue with the oil pump o-ring and it's on something like a plate, but you only need to replace the 0-ring.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yes, sorry for the confusion of lumping both issues together, actually the Toy problem is a better illustration of the risk of not changing the ancillary stuff when changing the belt. I DID NOT have internal parts damaged, but, about 3k after a new belt was installed, the tensioner (idler?) bearing failed and burned through the new belt in about 1/4 mile, on the freeway, halfway between D/FW and an event my daughter and I were going to in Austin. MOST inconvenient, so, not so 'catastrophic' but still early and unexpected!

The Honda was a '78 Civic sedan (cheapest new vehicle sold in America that year and my first new car) and when it went, number 2 cylinder,piston and exhaust valve recycled themselves back into ore.

sorry

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

tomcas wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Try reading the book, yourself. Opinions are sometimes worth the price you pay for them, but not always. The response of 105K matches my recollections of when I read my manual just after buying the car, but read the book yourself!

Reply to
GTT