Timing Belt

Reply to
bigjimpack

Next vehicle will likely be an Xterra or Wrangler. Both have chains so I wont have to shell out the $500 to fix it. One has a LIFETIME powertrain warranty so even if the chain goes at 400k miles it's free. No I dont buy "cheap" vehicles thank you. I buy reasonable vehicles that provide long service. The premium gas thing is a complete scam and even if I bought a vehicle that "required" it (not likely) I'd use regular gas and have NO problems.

While I like (Jeep) Wranglers, to say they are quality shoots a hole in your own theory about saving money. Jeeps 4.0 have been known to crack exhause manifolds, so much that out local junk yard sells aftermarket replacements. Jeeps love to leak; Seen countless rear axle seals, some with 30k-60k miles, lots of leaks around the transfer case and transmission.

And the premium gas is not a scam. We have had a few 6 cylinders running like crap due to lower octain gas. I believe the 6 cylinders rule is premium suggested, if performance problems is noted, then go to a higher octain.

Reply to
StephenW

That's why the Jeep is a big IF. Chrysler quality is always a crapshoot. That's what extended warranties are for though. If Toyota was smart theyd have revived the FJ cruiser as a direct wrangler competitor instead of an ugly impractical waste of money. Toyota name, four doors, removable top and theyd sell like hotcakes. I had personal experience with a turbo passat 01.5 same as audi. "Required" premium never got it. Many many problems but none related to fuel. LAsted 140k+ then was on its way out for tranny and other issues. They new Jeep uses a 3.8l which is reputed to be pretty good.

Reply to
bigjimpack

And I bet that extended warranty costs more than a pair of $500 timing belts. And based on owner reports rolled up in Consumer Reports every year, if reduced mtc costs are your interest, neither of those manufacturers are exactly known for reliability.

If you want a chain and an engine that doesnt' seem to have major mtc problems, the Subaru H-6 seems like one of the less trouble prone you'll find, based on what I've read here for 6 years.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I've not heard anything bad about the 6 cylinder Subaru engine - in fact everything I've read is very positive about it.

Unfortunately, you have to go to an Outback to get that engine. No offence to those who like the Outback! :) I've never found the Outback very appealing - I have no off-road pretensions, and the styling always seemed a bit garish to me with the add-ons... To my mind it would be nice to see a regular legacy wagon with 6 cylinder...

Cheers!

Reply to
Fred Boer

Warranty covers anything From AC to trans. So spending $1k is worth it. Paying for "maintenace" in a ripoff. I don't give much credibility to consumer reports after they bashed the Trooper. Right before that they had the trooper as reliable as the landcruiser- The Standard for off road vehicles. I wont buy an outback until they make it look good again

Reply to
bigjimpack

And because the performance would be down as well as the mileage, you probably spent more on regular gas than you would have on premium, and you ran the risk of damaging the engine.

Like I said; nothing is free. You will pay for it all one way or another.

One of my cars requires 93 minimum. It runs like crap on anything less; no guts and absolutely abysmal gas mileage. The other requires 91 and 89 can be used in a pinch. It runs OK on 89 but gas mileage sucks. So I have done the math on that one. It costs about 10% more to use a lower grade of fuel. On the car that requires 93, I wouldn't even attempt it. It runs very poorly on 91 on a hot day.

Reply to
JD

I test drove a 2008 4 cylinder Outback before purchasing a 2003 6 cylinder Outback last summer. I noticed the performance increase of the 6 cylinder enough to decide that I really wanted a 6 cylinder Outback. But I am annoyed that Subaru no longer will sell a 6 cylinder Outback without all the expensive options that I am not interested in. But I like the 6 cylinder enough that I plan to purchase a 2 or 3 year old one next time.

I guess I have been "brainwashed" ;) -- I use premium in my 2003 6 cylinder Outback and my 1993 BMW 525i. The 1989 Volvo 240 wagon gets mid-grade.

David

2003 Subaru Outback H-6 wagon 1993 BMW 525i Touring wagon 1989 Volvo 240 wagon
Reply to
David

correction: Subaru requires t/b change @ 104K miles.

anyways, if you do not like, do not buy it. I do not see your problem. there are plenty of other cars to chose from.

Reply to
alf

this is interesting, do you know what model needs 60K?

Reply to
alf

My mtc book said 100k but then from several sources i was told they changed their mind about that and were recommending 60k.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

The STi recommends 96,000KM; approx 60,000 miles

Reply to
JD