Timing belt

Just yesterday my timing belt went out. Was delivering papers and went home to use the bathroom and it would not start when I was ready to hit the road again. It is a 1992 legacy wagon awd, Would thier be any or mcuh valve damage, Also what is behind the valve cover such as water pump or whatever? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Richard

Why do you think it is a timing belt? Can it be an electrical problem? In any case I believe the 1992 engine design was non-interference (someone will correct me if I am wrong), so there shouldn't be any damage...

/MM

Reply to
MM

No valve damage. Covers should have end pieces that can be easily removed to check the condition of the timing belt. Good idea to also replace those tensionor pulleys along with the belt. Always inexpensive kits on ebay.

Reply to
johninky

Aaargh...delievering newspapers...that's why I bought my '89 Coupe in the first place.

Developed a head gasket leak. I didn't know it, i took it to have the timing belts checked. Guy said the belts were new.

Well, one was because 3500 miles later the other one broke. It's pretty easy, the guys here can tell you how to go about it. it took me about 5 hours with a wrench in one hand and a lemonade in the other...would have taken about 2.5 otherwise.

Do yourself a favor and have a look at the oil pump. I believe it's a similar design...the guys here can help with that. Go to the Suby dealer and for $11 get all the gaskets for the oil pump and DO IT NOW while you have everything apart, instead of having a gasket leak and having to do it all over again! AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH! (it can wait till lemonade weather...)

Reply to
Hachiroku