Timing belt

It's time to change the timing belt in my '98 Impreza [2.2L]. What's the easiest way to get the crankshaft pully bolt out without using a strap or chain wrench? [I don't have one] It doesn't have the clearance to get an impact gun on it unless I take off the radiator and condenser. I tried to loosen the bolt with the transaxle in gear and e-break on but the pulley turned with the socket. This is my first timing belt change so any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Reply to
mbjj

Hi,

This subject comes up frequently, so a google on "timing belt" in this NG should lead you to some of the hints. Some are aimed at manual gearboxes, some at autos, so your car should be covered.

Good luck,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I used an appropriate socket on a breaker bar braced against an immoveable part of the right side of the engine compartment. I had a friend crank the engine for a split second....spun the bolt right off. This sounds scary, and it is, but I've been doing it this way for 20 years as a mechanic and owner and have never had a problem with it. You DO need to be very sure which way the engine turns and put the bar in an appropriate position. For a little additional safety, slide a

4-5 foot pipe over the breaker bar. Good luck
Reply to
null_pointer

I recall some serviceman hit his head with such breaker bar extended with ~2m pipe, also starter on my old Passat Syncro was broken when they cranked the engine... Unfortunately I noticed starter problem later. Needless to say, I never went back to that service again.

Agris

Reply to
AgriX

I did the timing belt for this particular model, I removed the radiator (very easy) and let the AC-radiator in place. I then had enough space to use an impact gun, but not eough space to use it staight. I took an impact universal joint extension, that way I could use the imp. wrench in a 35 degree upwards angle. Worked well, the nut came loose in 3 seconds. Umberto

Reply to
umberto

On a manual venicle simply put in in 4th gear.

On an auto, remove the cover from the LHS of the transmission cover near the intake manifold. This gives access to the flywheel which has slots cut in it. Hold the flywheel with a large screwdriver or bar. Use a long bar on the socket for the pulley nut & away you go.

Reply to
CRGILL