Timing belts

I clipped out a quote from the Subaru "Technicians Reference Booklet" that covers engines and the changes over the years. The 2.2's from 97 on are of the interference type.

Peter

""The 2.2 liter (SOHC) (Phase 1) has been enhanced starting

with 1997 model year. The single overhead camshaft

engines have had internal and external changes that yield

an approximately 10 % increase in power and 3% increase

in fuel economy. Accomplishing this involves many factors,

one of which is engine friction reduction.

Redesigned Piston

The piston, a major source of engine friction has been coated

with a friction reducing agent called Molybendum. This thin

coating not only allows a smoother travel through the

cylinder but also reduces cylinder wall scuffing. This coating

will wear off over time and is not an indication of a problem.

The skirt of the piston has been reshaped and the overall

weight has reduced by approximately 100 grams.

Compression ratio has been increased to 9.7 to 1 by

reshaping the crown of the piston. This eliminates the

clearance that was available between the piston at TDC

and a fully opened valve. Piston pin offset has been

changed to 0.5 mm. Piston to cylinder wall clearance has

been reduced by increasing the piston diameter."

Reply to
Peter Berbee

How would the intake and exhaust valves be able to collide if they are driven by the same cam? Or were you talking about the 1996 - 98 EJ25 only now?

florian /FFF/

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

Maybe I'm confused. I thought we were talking about the DOHC engine, which has a different camshaft for the exhaust and intake valves.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks for the clarification.

So, at 120,700 mi and with one timing belt replacement at 63k, i probably should be thinking about doing it again soon on my '97 legacy with a 2.2l engine..

Jim

Reply to
Jim

^^^^

you'd think they've worked out the kinks since those REALLY early 2.5l engines...

;-)

florian /FFF/

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

Reread my post. I specifically mentioned Double Over Head Cam in the sentence talking about both valves being open at same time.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

I was referring to the entire discussion leading up to your post.

Even though the valves of both the DOHC and SOHC engines would collide if moved independently they would not collide in the SOHC version since they're driven by the same camshaft.

IIRC, you've also stated that you rotated the camshaft with the piston in TDC position without problem.

If this is so, the SOHC EJ25 - even though an interference design - could - in theory - survive a timing belt failure.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

You are wrong

Reply to
Edward Hayes

If a timing belt brakes ALL cams lose synchronization with the crankshaft and if the engine is turning you break it period.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

yes

yes

I guess it all depends upon what Subaru's definition of "interference design" is. I'm not sure if we know or have a common understanding of the term as it applies to these engines. My understanding is piston to valve collision. I've not observed valve action on DOHC engine so I don't know how close intake and exhaust valves come to hitting each other if out of sync. That may or may not be possible. I really don't know how close the valves come to hitting the piston on either engine. It may be quite close, close enough that with some build-up on the parts, they may in fact collide.

When I did the timing belt change, I half way expected to feel the interference when I rotated the cam but didn't. That is why I question the statement that the 2.5 SOHC engines are interference designs. This is not a hot button issue for me and is of no real concern other than general knowledge to have.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

It can be both piston/valve or valve/valve depending on the design. A valve interference would be a DOHC design where the valves are angled such that if both valves are open they will contact each other.

Valve/piston interference is there is no clearance space for an open valve with the piston at TDC. As far as I know, it is possible for a DOHC engine to have both types of interference.

Reply to
Henry Paul

The EJ22 up to 1996 was a Non-interference engine. Part way thru the

1996 model year they modified the heads and did away with the hydraulic lash adjusters replacing them with solid rocker arms requiring check/adj at 105K.

All 2.5's, ALL DOHC and ALL USA spec engines excluding the EG33 since

1997 ARE interference engines.
Reply to
Rat

As long as everyone else is being pedantic (: There's no rocker arms. Cups and shims.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

When you did your timing belt change, the 4 pistons may have been positioned by chance so that none of the pistons were near the top of their stroke. In that case, there may have been plenty of room for the valves to move in and out of the "interference zone" without contacting any of the piston heads.

Reply to
Wayne Farmer

What part of the 1996 year and on what models? I have the complete 1996 Impreza manual and it says nothing of the 2.2 being an interference design, nor of 2 different makes of the 2.2 engine.

Reply to
Henry Paul