Timing cover leak !?

Hey !

Just got a call from my garage saying that I have a leak from the timing cover on my 01 Outback (180 000km).

Can anyone tell me what seal(s) could be leaking ?

He tells me a 4h job , does this seems right ?

Thanks for any info !

Reply to
mathieu.lalande

Timing cover? Sure you have that right? There is a gasket on these, I believe, but I think it's more to keep snow/rain/water out of the timing belt area than to keep anything in.

However, from what I've read, leaking cam seals can be the culprit and evidence themselves to ya with oil coming out of the timing cover.

For what it's worth, valve cover gaskets are apparently a trouble spot on the 2001, and evidence that they're leaking is gnerally finding oil on and around the spark plug boots in teh spark plug wells.

I'd clarify with teh tech exactly what he plans to replace. 4 hours for cam seals doesn't sound that horrible to me. Is your timing belt due for replacement? If they're in that far already, it might be an opportune time to do belt and water pump without incurring any additional labor cost.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

This might lend additional insight:

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Well, is it oil or coolant? How close are you to needing a timing belt? I might be tempted to do the TB early and combine the labor with the leak repair.

Also, it may not be environmentally 'correct' but $400 would buy a LOT of oil if you need to put it off for a few months(and the leak is not severe)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Do you have the 6cyl (which does have a timing chain, and a timing cover with oil behind it), or a 4 cylinder?

If it is the 6, the cover has a gazillion bolts in it (about 35), and I could see it taking awhile to get to the cover (remove radiator, etc) and then replace it.

If the is the 6, also consider replacing the water pump while the cover is off, I hear it resides under the cover as well (have not confirmed this for myself)

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Basically you'll have to do the timing belt at the same time. To take off the camshaft sprockets to get to the seals the belt has to come off - a used belt cannot be put back on easily and it isn't worthwhile for a $40 part.

Reply to
Sam

Forgot to mention - when I did my timing belt earlier this year it was about a four hour job.

Reply to
Sam