Timing driving me crazy...

and it's a short ride.

1989 GL hatch, 1.8L TBI. There are two connectors under the hood on the driver's side near the cowl, and connecting either or both does not bring the timing marks into view. All I ever see is a 12-14mm bolt on the flywheel.

Now, the idle is about 500RPM according to the tach; spec from the hood sticker says 700. How can I up the idle and maybe bring the timing marks into view?

I was thinking of just 'blindly' loosening the distributor and try different settings to see if the timing marks come in, but the car runs fairly well (for a 20 year old car) without stumbling or surging...most of the time...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Confirm you are using #1 plug wire to check the timing. Also use only the freen connector.

Reply to
johninky

According to Chilton's (and the sticker on the hood) "Use the 2-contact connector". Um, it only has one contact!

I tried both connectors together and alternately.

Now, my experience is primarily with Toyotas, and when you short the connector, the MIL flashes. If everything is OK, it flashes regularly. If there is a problem it flashes out a code.

Connecting the white connector in the Soob causes the MIL to flash, and it's flashing regularly.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Idling below spec will not affect the timing. Advance starts a t a particular RPM,and the spec for setting the timing is below that speed.

Reply to
clare

Like he said it's the freen connector on the sub for the timing. Green, I think it just disables the computer advance to the distributor so it's just mechanical. I think your distributor may be off a tooth if you can't find the marks.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Is it possible the main pulley has slipped on the rubber insert?

Or that the key has sheared and the pulley has slipped on the shaft?

Pull the number1 plug and find TDC, if the marks are nowhere near the right place, one of these has happened.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Timing mark is on the flywheel on most Soobs, isn't it? kinda hard for that to slip.

Reply to
clare

Gee, I can't find the freen connector!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I set the timing belts and the car is running well.

Ignorant question: which cylinder is #1? IIRC it's the front cylinder on the driver's side...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Trace the cable bundle forward from the blinker fluid level sender (after it passes above the muffler bearing) - should be right there.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I can't find any reference to the blinker fluid level sender. It must be visual on a car this old. But I did find blinker fluid!

Hachiroku

thanx for the link! I've been looking for the synthetic blinker fluid.

;^)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

It's the front cyl. )ne side is farther ahead than the other. As for the "running well" - is it torqy at the low end and a bit soft at the top? or a bit slow at the bottom but goes like Jack the Bear when you get it wound up? If so you could have the belt off a tooth.

Will still "run relatively well for a 20 year old car"

Reply to
clare

It's actually pretty even across the boards. It pulls good off the line but doesn't start wheezing near the top, either.

I just wanted to check the timing, but for some reason can't...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Uhhh, good point!

Haven't had to check my timing yet, so didn't realize that.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp