Tire mismatch???

2005 3.0R VDC Outback

The initial alignment was off and the outside edge of my two rear tires wore down to nothing in only 8000 miles. I noticed it when I did a tire rotation...funny thing, I had the rotation done at the dealership and they didn?t notice it!?!

Anyhow, they?re covering two new tires, but won?t replace the originals that were on the front...I now have 12000 miles on the tires. The originals are only rated for ~40,000 miles (V speed rating) and they show decent wear. What is the maximum acceptable mismatch in diameter between tires...front-to-back??? (.2 inches???) I have to think that the current mismatch will exceed what is recommended, and why is the dealership telling me not to worry???

Reply to
Rob2193

Edward Hayes

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Just want to make it clear, this really only applies to the current auto tranny models. The manual tranmissions use a mechanical center diff that is tolerant of different tire sizes.

Reply to
y_p_w

I bet if YOU had put tires on the car like that, ever, and they knew about it - they'd deny any drivetrain warranty claim.

I say, get 4 new tires or have them shave the new ones down to match the older ones. THEY are the ones that should've delivered a new car to you that does not chew up tires.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
Edward Hayes

There's no FWD fuse in the manual transmission models and a compact spare in the trunk. The reason the FWD fuse is there is to disengage the electronic AWD system that will might go batty if you use the compact spare, thinking that there's excessive wheel slip.

"Continuous AWD: Subaru manual transmissions use Continuous AWD, normally 50/50 front-to-back power split and use a mechanical viscous center differential to vary the power split when there is a loss of traction."

Apparently the viscous coupling in the manual transmission models is more tolerant of tire size difference than the electronically controlled clutch pack in the automatics. Apparently the clutch packs can wear out prematurely if the system constantly thinks the wheels are slipping. There are advantages to the electronically controlled system, but sometimes simplicity has its advantages. Check out the following thread.

Reply to
y_p_w