Tire pressure for 1997 subaru outback limited

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the numbers are? Bought a used outback last week and looks like the driver side door has been replaced, and it doesnt't have the numbers!

Thanks, Venugopal

Reply to
balasubv

29 lb/in^2 front and 28 lb/in^2 rear. You can put more in the rear if the cargo area is heavily loaded.

I discovered with my first Subaru (1988 GL 4x4 wagon) that Subaru, unlike North American car manufacturers, gives reasonable recommended tire pressures. When I drove Fords and Chevys I always ran the tires 2 or 3 lb/in^2 higher than the manufacturer's recommendation, else the tires wore faster on the edges. I did the same thing with the first set of tires on the 1988 Subaru, and they wore in the centre of the tread. So their replacements were set at Subaru's figure for the 1988 wagon, and they wore nicely. I have done the same thing with my 1997 Legacy Outback, now about 9000 km into its third set of tires at 275,000 km (got 114,000 km on the original Michelin XW4s and got 152,000 km on the second set of tires which were Michelin X1s). So don't put excessive pressure into the tires unless you want them to wear out in the centre of the tread. (This advice might not be good for brands other than Michelin, however.)

David

Reply to
David Ryeburn

Go 32 all around.

Reply to
jabario

Going with the 29/28 has proved itself to me. I ran 2 separate test in which I ran the tires for month at 32 and another month at the 29/28. Both times I ran the test I got 1+ mile a gallon better running at the

29/28. Not sure why, but with the price of gas right now... I will take it!
Reply to
Dan Jensen

Hi, Might sound far fetched, but could it be that at 32 psi the diameter increased to change the odo mileage??

thinking outside the box.....

mitch xt.....

Reply to
the one and only

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:36:31 GMT, the one and only wrote in news:Plsbe.17000$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Radial tires have a fairly constant outside diameter which is not affected much by inflation pressure.

The rolling resistance will get lower with higher pressures so it is more likely that better efficiency measured with lower tire pressures might be due to other factors like temperature, road condition, or more likely wind or speed.

My Legacy runs 'best' for me on its current tires with about 34/33.

Reply to
Juan Vado