Tire profile vs tire performance

found the rules:

the max size allowed is a 460mm wide rear tire that can't be taller than

710mm.

that size of a tire on various wheels:

13" - 460/40-13 14" - 460/38-14 15" - 460/35-15 16" - 460/33-16 17" - 460/30-17

so, even if they're running a 13" wheel, that's only a 40 aspect tire, which I believe is a low profile tire.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

I knew you'd like that one.

Reply to
Phil Newnham

It's now about 14". From the 2008 rules:

12.4.4 Wheel bead diameter must lie between 354mm and 358mm.

** **

I downloaded the 2004 rules, and it was around 13" then:

12.4.4 Wheel bead diameter must lie between 328 and 332mm.
Reply to
y_p_w

Just as a clarification, About 14" is for 2008. The 2006 and 2007 rules on rim height (bead diameter) are the same as 2004. I didn't look up 2005, but I suspect it's the same.

Reply to
y_p_w

What the heck are the "exteme weather tyres" (as opposed to dry and wet weather tires). of which you potentially need 3 sets? Do they have F1 races during snowstorms or something? Would be fun to watch that "F1 gone rally" event :-]

Note that they require homegenious compounds in all three types: no pumice impregnated center rib for Mikka Hakkinen!

That settles my grievance then.

Reply to
Body Roll

Thanks. Did you see the pictures of "extreme weather" F1 tires anywhere? Are they slicks or there is some grooves for water evacuation? I wonder how different they are from "wet weather tires".

Reply to
Body Roll

Hi,

This is a "summer" tire? What kinda summer weather do you guys have where you are?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

To be fair, I think the meaning is for the traditional "3-season tire" that is somewhat incorrectly refererred to as a "summer tire".

Reply to
y_p_w

It's tough to take a question like that seriously--particularly from a nick like "bodyroll".

Reply to
CompUser

Typically, dry weather tyres are used until the drivers are unable to get the power down or turn in, whichever becomes a problem first, then they change onto wet weather tyres (often termed "intermediates"). If there is significant standing water on the track, the intermediates will suffer from aquaplaning, and extreme weather tyres (often termed "full wets") are used. In 2007, the teams are limited to 14 sets of dry tyres,

4 sets of wets and 3 sets of extreme weather tyres per car per weekend. There are also limitations on the number of sets that can be used in the first two practice sessions.
Reply to
Phil Newnham

IIRCC, the rim size is not regulated, just the diameter of the tyre, when fitted to the wheel. Since the width of the tyre dictates the ideal aspect ratio for the wall height, all of them would end up with roughly the same rim size.

Reply to
a_Frank

If you read the whole thread you'll see that the bead diameter is regulated, and hence the diameter of the rim must be more or less the same as the bead diameter, give or take.

Reply to
Phil Newnham

no, but your comment about an F1 race in the snow made me chuckle.

:)

Reply to
news

If it's a 14" diameter wheel that the tire requires, you're going to have a hard time fitting any other wheel on that. I'm assuming the suppliers of tires have a list of possible sizes.

Ray

Reply to
news

I wasn't in the country at the time and my memory is a bit hazy after all these years but sometime in the late 70's / early 80's an F1 car went out for a few exploratory laps around Brands Hatch when there was snow on the ground, possibly around April time if I recall.

It might have been the aborted Race of Champions in 1982 or possibly a Gunnar Nilsson memorial.

Reply to
Not Bernie Ecclestone

I was at Montreal when it snowed the weekend of an F1 race. I'm not sure what year it was, perhaps 1980?

Montreal can be odd even in June. Sometimes it's rained heavily at the hairpin while being dry as a bone at the opposite end of the circuit.

Reply to
Mario

A truly international race..... the Antarctic Gran Prix. Black tie attire required for all spectators ;=)

Reply to
Silent Observer

Just like Silverstone or Spa most years. I've been at a race during the summer either in the UK or Europe where there were hailstones an inch or more deep on the ground, again my intermittent memory doesn't recall where right now!

Reply to
Not Bernie Ecclestone

Reply to
vic

Here's a treat. It's Google Video of the BBC coverage for the Montreal Grand Prix from 1985.

Murray Walker / James Hunt

35 minutes of good fun with drivers of legendary time.

Mario