Tire question

I'm buying a 2005 Forester X and spoke to the dealer about trading in the Geolanders for a set of Michelins. I've seen some really good websites that rate and review tires on the newsgroup in the past but for the life of me cannot find any good ones. Could you please post any good sites you may have, thanx in advance.

Reply to
A7N8X-X

A7N8X-X wrote:

Reply to
BBB

Reply to
ismlv

I will add my experiences. I've got a 1998 Forester and have had several sets of tires over the years. As I live in the far north on New York, I have always run summer tires and winter tires.

Based on the comments from Tire Rack, I switched from Dunlop 60's to Michelin HydroEdge (XTS, or some such). This despite their $90 cost. I've been thrilled ! They handily outperform the Dunlops and those did better than the Geolanders. They're more comfortable and handle much quicker.

One person, one opinion. Take it as you wish.

Philip

Reply to
Philip Procter

Thanx, actually I've already decided on the HydroEdge, glad to see another good comment on them.

Reply to
Rhesus Monkey

Personally I believe Michelin carries an unjustified premium compared to Bridgestone, Dunlop, Pirelli, Continental, Yokohama, etc. Michelin does make good tires though. I've used their bicycle tires for years.

You guys should have seen a thread on alt.autos.toyota. Many of the posters seem to inject their political feelings into their posts. One reply to a question about Michelins rapidly devolved into a series of anti-French diatribes. The nastiest likened buying any product from a French company (like Michelin) to supporting terrorists. :-(

Reply to
y_p_w

"y_p_w" a écrit dans le message de news:e%cUc.24334$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

stupid idiot do that more stupid than terrorist

Reply to
jacques.dietrich

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Here's the thread I was referring to. Have a good laugh.

Again - I'm eventually going to look for replacements for the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (oh the horror) tires on my 2004 WRX, and am thinking Continental ContiExtremeContact or Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. The closest Michelin equivalent is about $30 (US) more per tire.

Reply to
y_p_w

Here's the thread I was referring to. Have a good laugh.

Again - I'm eventually going to look for replacements for the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (oh the horror) tires on my 2004 WRX, and am thinking Continental ContiExtremeContact or Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. The closest Michelin equivalent is about $30 (US) more per tire.

Reply to
y_p_w

Here's the thread I was referring to. Have a good laugh.

Again - I'm eventually going to look for replacements for the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (oh the horror) tires on my 2004 WRX, and am thinking Continental ContiExtremeContact or Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. The closest Michelin equivalent is about $30 (US) more per tire.

Reply to
y_p_w

Actually, John Kerry is a pretty good guy and he reads too, which means he actually thinks before he acts.

I understand he is on a waiting list for the Ford Hybrid. I tend to think he should have gone for the Prius, but that was not politically possible. I see the Ford Hybrid as a PR gimmick. I will be interested to see how many they really sell. They are getting a lot of press for a car that can't be purchased yet.

I wonder if Subaru will come out with a Hybrid. As gas prices rise and they only can go up considering that there is limited supply and increasing demand, the Subaru 25 ish miles to the gallon will not cut it. I almost went for a Prius, if I only could have had one in a reasonable amount of time, instead of buying a Subaru.

Reply to
JDC

So is Michelin ~really~ a French company any more? Funny, my cars have worn Michelins made in France, Germany, Italy and the US over the last

25+ years. I'm sure they have plants in countries elsewhere, as well. Sounds pretty multi-national to me.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Apparently Michelin has two "Managing Partners": Edouard Michelin (a descendent of the founder?) and René Zingraff. Sure it's multinational, but the French roots are still there.

If you're looking for a car that's free of French parts, then good luck. More likely than not there some electronics or parts that were made or designed in France. GM makes several 4/5-sp automatic transmission in Strasbourg, France. If that disturbs you, don't buy a Cadillac CTS, Range Rover, or numberous BMWs that use them. I've bought two set of Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tires. They're made in France, but the brand was part of Sumitomo Tire, and now seems to be part of Goodyear.

Frankly - I don't worry about politics when I'm discussing cars. If I did, I wouldn't be driving.

Reply to
y_p_w

You might start here...

Reply to