Tire Question. Does anyone here have the NEW Goodyear TRiple tread Assurnce tires?

Hi I just bought the new triple tread assurance tires and finding them howling at higher speeds....110 KM and right around 65 to 70 KM mark.... There is a slight vibration in the gas peddle also at the 60/70 km mark. Been back to the Tire dealer three time to re balance and still the same thing... They tried changing the air pressure in the tires and it got even worse at the higher speeds. Has anyone else having this problem or could it be something else wrong with the car? Any input would greatly help.... thanks

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

Nono_baddog

I've never heard of "triple tread assurance" tires. Sure *sounds* impressive, but how much are they? While cost alone isn't the only measure of tire quality, a $25 tire isn't going to have nearly the same level of quality as a $100 tire. My Subie was involved in a fender-bender a couple winters ago which, among other things, left a huge rip in the sidewall of my $100 tire. When I got the car back after over a month, it seemed to drive "funny" but I just chalked it up to having not driven it in a while. It seemed to handle differently around corners, especially in the snow, and accelerating on snow produced a lot more wheelspin than I had remembered.

Then one day I was talking about tires with a friend of mine, and happened to point at the one on my car that had been replaced after the crash. I stopped in the middle of my sentence, because there was a completely different tire on that wheel! A quick check revealed that they had replaced my $100 tire with a $25 tire. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed, I mean this tire wasn't even the same speed rating as the other ones! I made a few phone calls, and they claimed that they'd used that tire because "the tread pattern was similar" and "my tire was discontinued." Although their first point was arguable, since the tread did look generally similar, a few more calls indicated that my original tire was indeed still available, and that the body shop I had used probably didn't do work with anyone who carried my tire, hence the cheap impostor tire.

Anyway, my point is that that one cheap tire was causing all sorts of weird driving. I can't say for sure if having 4 identical cheap tires would have made a difference, but the good tires were much better on snow, and since the cheap tire was on the front, it would slip and the AWD would send the power to the rear. Hence the wheelspin on acceleration and the slightly fishtaily turns. Once I had the situation straightened out, my Subie drove normally again.

Reply to
Hallraker

Here:

Not inexpensive, looks like Goodyear's answer to Michelin's HydroEdge (very similar thread design...
. Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

Reply to
John D. Ervin

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Not finding a whole lot of comments about the Assurance ComforTred, and this being the last day for the $75 grocery rebate, I went ahead and bought a set of four through Discount Tire. Unfortunately, they didn't have but one in stock, so I'll bring the car back on Monday morning. (I live within walking distance, so it's no big deal.) And since Discount Tire will apply the cost for something else within 30 days if I don't like them, I figure my risk is minimal. I'll post my comments here after I try them for awhile. Wish me luck!

Reply to
Turtleman

Reply to
Edward Hayes

As a side note:

TireRack.com still lists the OEM tire of the 98 GT Wagon as 185/70-14 The sedan specs however show up correctly as 205/55-16

???

florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

I think that may have been the tires from the 1st generation Legacy.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

I just bought a set of Tripple Treads 3 days ago and so far so good. Put them on a 1995 Rivi with a supercharged V-6. I could light up the old tires for about 35 feet on the concreat but these do not even chirp. Have not tested them on Ice, snow or rain yet. No vibrations or howling so far. The Rivi corners like it is on a RAIL!! Buy them on the internet and save some money ($100.00) Discount Tires Direct or Tire Rack.

Reply to
k5joe

My Tripple Treads have an 80,000 mile tread wear warranty. $ 50.00 bucks for Road Harzard for the four tires. $ 103.00 with free shipping from Discount Tire Direct with no State Tax if you live in a state without a Discount Tire Store 225-60-16 s or t speed rating. MSRP from Goodyear $

133.00 each plus state TAX!!