Tire Recommendations for Rough Roads

I'm going to be driving our '99 Forester on an old CCC road near the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, perhaps once a month. Some the the hills are fairly steep and eroded, exposing some pretty sharp rocks and there are some muddy ruts 6-8 inches deep. There is the possibility of snow and ice in the winter, but I may just bag it if it comes to that.

We currently have the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T, which handled the first trip in semi-dry weather OK. [BTW, I am amazed at what this automatic transmission Forester can do]. At 32,000 miles the H/Ts are getting a little long in the tooth and I'm looking for an improved replacement. It appears the Bridgestone Dueler H/L is a better tire, while offering a compromise between rough road and highway use. I do not want a soft sidewall, smooth highway cruiser that is just going to get cut up when I smack a few sharp rocks. The Toyo Proxes T1-S are being reserved for my Miata. Searches in this newsgroup and NASIOC haven't really given me any guidance. It seems many of us never leave the pavement.

I want sidewalls that handle the rocks and treads that handle the mud and wouldn't mind the quietest highway ride I can get while doing that. What is out there?

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Hi Ken,

I've heard that Pirelli make a good off road tyre for the Forester, I think it's called Scorpion SC or something similar. I have friends with a Forrester here in Australia who have them and torture it off road regularly without any probs. They're not bad on the beach either although a little on the noisy side on the freeway.

Sounds like a fun drive you've got there - with serious mud a set of chains sometimes comes in handy for a little extra traction when it gets really mushy.

Gerard...

Reply to
Gerard

I've done some mild offroading with my WRX wagon. The Michelin Arctic Alpins I was using seemed to work well on typical Rocky Mountain backcountry trails; rocky, loose gravel, relatively dry, steep sections. They are not suitable for mud; they pack up and become useless way too easily, and are slow to clean out. My usual offroad car is a beat-up old GL wagon. I have used the Nokian Hakkapilitta (sp?) tires on it, with very good results. As the Hakkis have become popular, and hence more expensive, I have been using a no-name mud-n-sno tire sourced from the guys at Peerless Tyre. We found one in a 185/80/13 size that has the advantage of providing a bit more ride height, but it doesn't work as well as the Hakkis on loose surfaces. Basically, you want a somewhat taller, narrower tire than would be the optimum choice for pavement, with an open block tread pattern. You will probably find that a "real" mud and snow tire from most any manufacturer that will work reasonably well, or you might look into a dedicated gravel rally tire such as one of the Michelin offerings (pricy) or perhaps the Kumho rally tire, which I am told works very well. A tire that fits this description will tend to be pretty squirmy (that a word d'ya suppose?), and loud on pavement, but anything less will compromise offroad performance, particularly on soft or muddy ground. Tradeoffs. Sigh.

ByeBye! S.

"Gerard" wrote

Thanks Gerard. I haven't looked at Pirellis since my used '63 Mini-Cooper came with a set. The Scorpion ST looks pretty agressive for an on/off road tire, but unfortunately looks to be available only in 16 inch in the U.S. My '99 is on 15 inch wheels and I don't plan on changing that. The STR appears to be the only one in the on/off road group that is available in the

205/70-15 size I need. I'll have to stop by the local Sears/NTB store and see if they have it.
Reply to
Ken Lyons