Tires

GoodYear Comfortread tires on my 2001 Forester are nearing the end of their life. The car rocks and shakes - dealer told me that the tires are the cause. Those tires were installed at 60K miles (3 years ago) - now the car has 95K on it. But those tires are rated for 80K, I think. I had them rotated every 5K miles. One thing I never do: checking the tire pressure myself - but dealer checks it when doing service (I always serviced this car at dealer) and tire shop people check it when rotating the tires. Is it a problem? Should I check/adjust pressure in tires every week or so, in order to increase their life?

Thanks, Boris

Reply to
boris

I would think at nearly 100K the struts are about due for replacement. All tires have wear bars. If the thread is not worn down to the wear bars, drive on.

Reply to
johninky

The dealer and tire shop will fill the tires to the inflation listed on the car. Generally, that tire pressure maximizes comfort but gives up tread life. Inflate about 4 psi higher than suggested and check the pressure every month. A $2 tire tread depth gauge can be used to monitor proper tire pressure. Measure tread depth in a groove near the inside, middle and outside of the tire. Even wear is what you seek. Less tread depth in the middle means over-inflation. Less tread depth along the inside and outside indicates under-inflation. Less tread depth along the inside or outside and/or cupping or other unusual tire wear pattern indicates a suspension issue. It will take 5,000 to

10,000 miles for a measureable wear pattern to develop.

Your experience with Goodyear tires is similar to mine. If tires cause the car to shake, you need to replace them regardless of remaining tread depth. Use The Tire Rack's web site to find decent tires for your car. I've had good luck with Michelin, Bridgestone and Yokohama tires; never their cheapest tires, though. Some dealers will match Tire Rack prices.

Reply to
Gary Wohl