Tires

I know this has been beaten to death but I find myself having to replace the tires on my 2004 OBW and am actively considering either the Triple Tread by Goodyear or the Michelin Hydro edge. I have two requests:

1) If anyone who lives in a similar climate (Minnesota) and uses either of these tires would be willing to give me their opinion of them on snow I would greatly appreciate it. I am especially concerned about the Triple Tread and Turning on slow, I have heard the are susceptible to "plowing."

2) Are there any other tires I should be considering?

Thanks

Jeff

2004 OBW 35th Ann.
Reply to
Jeff

I just replaced my Geolander with Hydro Edge on my Forester here in Toronto. I was considering both brands at the same time and eventually selected Michelin. I was considering Triple Tread as I found good rating from others and it is cheaper than Michelin. I never had Goodyear tires on my cars before. So I believe I'd never go wrong with Michelin.

I found them pretty good on both wet and dry road. Definitely better than Geolander on snow but I never actually try them on a parking lot. However, I found the side wall is not that stiff compare to Geolander. I feel kind of sponge when turning corners thus the handling is not that good.

"Jeff" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:lpidnc58-POVEI snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Daya

What pressure are you running the Hydroedges? I'm about to replace my original Geolanders (2003 Forester) and the Hydroedge is the definite front runner. With the Geolanders I found I had to crank them up to 33-34 psi to get "non-spongy" handling.

TIA,

George Bame Norfolk, VA

¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:lpidnc58-POVEI snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...
Reply to
George Bame

Data from Tirerack re: TripleTread (TT) vs HydroEdge (HE). Note that Triple Treads beat the HydroEdge in EVERY CATEGORY. Note especially the difference in Snow Traction! Also Cornering Stability. You can see the same survey results at:

I can't imagine anybody choosing the HydroEdge over the TripleTreads. I've driven them on my 04 Forester for two months and 5400km now. They are by far the best all around tire I've driven. Pure winter tires will out corner and stop them in the snow but then you'll be switching each season. IMO - Buy the Triple Treads.

Would Buy again? TT - 8.9, HE - 8.6 Rank Within Category. TT -1, HE - 2 % vs best in category. TT - 100%, HE - 95% Dry Traction. TT-9.4, HE-9.2 Wet Traction. TT-9.5, HE-9.4 Hydro Resistance. TT-9.5, HE-9.4 Snow Traction. TT-9.1, HE-7.6 Cornering Stability. TT-9.1, HE-8.8 Steering Response. TT-9.2, HE-8.9 Ride Comfort. TT-8.9, HE-8.6 Noise Comfort. TT-8.9, HE-8.1 Tread Wear. TT-9.2, HE-9.1

I'm starting to look for tires, and these two seem the most interesting. The Tirerack numbers are persuasive, but I also look at the UTQC:

Goodyear's utqc is 740AB. Per
Michelin's utqc is 760AB for all sizes except 205/65TR16, which is 800AB. All enlightenment welcome.

Reply to
John Rethorst

I have posted this before, but it is worth repeating...

I have a 1997 Subaru Outback and went looking and researching for a tire that would really deliver on it all, such as dry and wet braking and handling, winter driving/traction and a quiet ride. Some leading recommendations were Michelin HydroEdge, Toyo Spectrum, Goodyear Triple Tread and BigO Euro Tour. I came close to getting the Michelin HydroEdge, but the reviews were just too mixed. I read the design and logic behind the Goodyear Triple Tread and talked to a number of tire shops. When I told different tires shops what I was looking for, they kept recommending this tire. Finally, I talked to a person at one tire shop that got a chance to demo them and loved them. I decided to take the risk and be one of the first to give the tire a try.

I have put 7,000 miles on them and can sum them up in one word: WOW! What a difference. With my old tires, I had to turn up the stereo once I got on the freeway. I don't even touch the dial now. You will not believe how quiet these tires are. I used to think the reason I felt every crack in a road was the Outback's stiffer suspension. The difference with these tires is incredible. I took a tight circle freeway offramp with a 20 mph speed limit at 40 mph and the car took the turn better than going 20 mph with the old tires. Where I used to get a side lean in a corner, these tires hold solid and make cornering effortless. I was driving one day down the freeway going from dry road to heavy spring showers and could feel no difference - and the traction was solid.

I have had them up in the mountains a number of times. I have tried these tires in snow, ice and combo of slush and ice. I have been amazed how well these tires griped in all these conditions. I have even been deep in the mountains on logging roads and got a chance to really test these tires. I was even more amazed that they did great there too.

Goodyear's utqc is 740AB.>

Reply to
El Williams
38 psi as I carry a lot of stuffs (heavy load). "George Bame" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:9AyQd.35921$uc.16649@trnddc04...
Reply to
Daya

Thank you everyone for the valuable input.

Reply to
Jeff

In my area of CA, I could not get the Michelins because they did not make an "H" rated version. Here, if a car comes with speed or temperature rated tires, no reputable shop will install anything less. I went with the Bridgestone RE950's. Great in both wet and dry.

Reply to
MJB