Tires for an Outback... (Potenza G009, Eagle GT/HR, Michelin MXV4, Tripletreads?)

I've got a 2000 Outback and need new tires. The Potenza G009 tires looks like a good choice; however, I read one account on Tirerack that the tires didn't fit correctly and scraped the wheel well when turned all of the way. Is this truly a problem?

Other's I'm considering are the Goodyear Eagle GT/HR, Goodyear TripleTread, and Michelin MXV4.

I'm really leaning toward the Eagles as a compromise between price, dry and snow traction, and ride comfort. Snow traction is kind of important in Colorado, but I'm not sure I want the TripleTreads.

Comments?

thanks,

tom

Reply to
tom

Hey Tom,

It took me two and a half years, and 50,000 miles, to wear out the Potenza's that came on my Baja. Holy hell how I hated those tires.

I bought a set of Triple Treads in August, and have had a chance to drive them in all condidtions. I'm in northern Utah, so I can attest to their abilities in light snow now, and I can't wait to get them out in a good old dump. The bottom line is: I'm really glad I ponied up the extra dough for this set of rubber.

A few years ago I had a Tacoma. The time came to replace the tires, and I have always put BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's on every truck I've owned. They're just good tires, and they always lived up to my expectations. Anyhow, for the Tacoma, I decided to go with something else to save a few bucks. I regretted it every single time I turned the key on that truck.

There is a reason that the Triple Tread's are so highly rated...they're the bomb. That's my 4 cents.

Good Luck.

Rebecca B.

Just took a look at CR and yes they do. They highly recommend the Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3. I never would have considered them. They rate them much higher then the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 I was considering. They also like the Nitto Winter SN1 H.

Anybody just get the dedicated snow tires and steel wheels? I don't really want to get dedicated alloys for winter and I really didn't want to have the rubber remounted on my current wheels twice a year.

Reply to
Ed

If you want wet traction, stay away from the MXV4s.

I now use the Toyo Proxes TPT, excellent >

Reply to
AS

This may not be the best time to shop( a lot of folks looking for winter wheels), but a lot of folks upgrade from stock wheels when they buy a new WRX and have them for sale - sometimes with usable rubber on them even. I sold my stockers to offset the cost of my SSRs. Take a look around the marketplace forums at

and especially the Texas and southwest forums - as they are unlikely to keep a second set of wheels.

and don't forget ebay as well as other soob forums.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

If I were you, all I wanted would be TripleTreads. They are amazingly good.

Reply to
DK

You might want to consider Falken ZE502's or 512's. I cna't say how either one will perform in your Colorado snow, but the 502's on my wife's 97 Outback Sport did very well in some nasties in Oregon. I haven't had a chance to play in the snow with the 512's on my 2000 OB.

If you do go with the 512's you can probably go up one size (225/60-16 to 235/60-16) if you feel inclined. It worked on my 2000 Outback and there was no rub/scrape at all.

Reply to
nobody >