Tires for Legacy GT Limited Sedan and Colorado

Have a 2006 Outback 3.0 VDC, but, due to hesitation problems with it, I'm trading it in for a 2007 Legacy GT Limited Sedan.

Got home OK in the Big Denver Blizzard in the Outback, which has Potenza tires, but, due to extreme road noise, I'm looking to get some other tire on the Legacy.

I don't do any off-road, and, little driving in the mountains, but, would need to handle the occasional blizzard and usual winter weather (which is probably less than 10% of the year).

Any recommendations (that could be gotten on a new car at the dealer), or, am I stuck with Potenzas again?

Thanks!

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Bob H

Be sure to look around at

. I have purchased from them, but even if you decide to buy locally, they have a nice site with reviews,etc. I dunno exactly what you're looking for in tires, but as for road noise, the Kumhos I put on my WRX were noticeably quieter than the Bridgestones they replaced.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Michelin SUV Cross Terrain

BF Goodrich Long Trail Radial T/A

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

WHICH Potenzas? Potenza family of tires includes rubber as diverse as

92s and S-03s the former being total crap and the latter being very reasonable but totally not suitable for you because you want allseasons. As to whether you will be stick with Potenzas is entirely up to you. According to the Hollywood and INS this is a free country. Meaning that you can choose your tires for now.
Reply to
Body Roll

The Outback 3.0 R VDC comes with Potenza RE92A in 225/55VR17 according to the Tire Rack. They've got them on special right now for $117 each. I'm pretty sure they're typically about $150+.

The 2007 Legacy 2.5 GT Limited comes with Potenza RE92 in 215/45ZR17. You don't want to know how much they cost. I think a good alternative is the Potenza RE960AS which is $140 from TR in that size. The Nokian WR comes in that size and may be a good choice for Colorado weather. There seem to be a lot of Nokian dealers in Colorado. ;)

You're going to have a hard time persuading a dealer to take OEM tires as a trade in. I also find that dealer tire selection is limited (often just OEM). Your best bet may simply be to try selling them as "barely used" on Craigslist.

My European coworkers tell me that back home their registration papers come with a list of manufacturer's approved tires that must be used.

Reply to
y_p_w

This is to save them from RE92s I guess. Which countries they are from?

Reply to
Body Roll

Hey Bill,

I' over in Utah, and drive a lot of the same conditions. I feel like I'm probably beginning to sound like a broken record, but...when I had my Baja in for service the other day, the dealer had some TripleTred's on display. I've had them on my Baja since August, and can not even begin to tell you how vast of an improvement they are over the RE92's. They've been stellar in the snow out here. And, they really compliment the behavior of a Subaru (mine at least).

Good luck.

Italy. My manager also told me that there's no DIY oil changes either. All work had to be done by a licensed mechanic.

Reply to
y_p_w

I'm here in WV and just got a new set of TripleTreads on my `01 OBW after getting 96,000 out of the Firestone Wilderness OEM tires that came with it. These Tripletreads are amazing for the rainy conditions I've already driven in and the traction/grip I've got out of the road. As this poster said, these tires compliment the Subaru in ways you can't imagine till you drive. It's like a perfect marriage between the AWD and the Tires. :)

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Rubber bands and shelf liner around the rims would be better than those tires with 96k.

In my experience, they were shot 45-50k ago. Mine started stinking it up around 40k.

Reply to
Bonehenge

I'm hearing a lot about TripleTreads. Would they be considered All Season, or, do I need to get them for Winter, and, something else for the rest of the year?

Reply to
Bill Bradley

They are an all season tire. Go to tirerack.com for the skinny.

Happy Holidays

How true that is. I bought the car with the tires already having 78,000 miles on them. Drove on them to Michigan and back once, and simply worked too much to get the tires done considering I had my 90k servicing to focus on. How ever, you are right, they were utterly worthless. Last year in the snow on my driveway, I spun driving up the hill when my mom's `95 Legacy L went up just fine. I got out and looked and the tire was utterly bald with any tread being filled in with tiny amounts of snow, no grip, etc.

Reply to
Bradley Walker