Tires for WRX

I have a set of 225/50/16 Nitto NT 450 extream performance tires on the stock wheels. They were new and on the car when i bought it used. I'm about to replace them and thinking about going back to the stock size. They handle well but the ride is harsh, and road noise is a bit to much. Seems like i am always fighting the steering to keep it in my lane specialy on 85 here in Atlanta., it seems worse on some roads then others. But i'm wondering if going back to stock size will improve noise, ride quality, etc. without sacraficing to much handleing performance. I have never driven one with the stockers so i dont know if there would be any difference at all.I am going to replace the steering rack bushings, get an alignment as well which maybe the cause of some of the issues. I do see the inside edge of the rear tires are worn bald while the rest still has measurable tread on them. Also wondering if going with the wider tire messes with the camber or alignment in anyway vs the stock size tire. Anyone have any suggestions ?

Reply to
Mike

abcd

Thanks, i'm to close to buying new ones to go threw rotating and haveing them dismounted and all of that.I'll have new ones by the end of this week.

Reply to
Mike

The inside tread wear and the alignment that's causing it explain just about all your handling issues. 50 series tires are going to be harsher riding than a somewhat similar sized 60 series tire. It's possible that the road noise was your rubber getting scrubbed away ;}

Recommending a replacement is not easy, we don't know what you expect out of your tires nor how you drive. Some more info would help.

Reply to
nobody >

Well i need a decent handleing and decent ride comfort. I dont go to the track or do any mountain runs or anything.I do do some spirited driving, car is modified slightly. But mostley highway. commuting to work. Wondering to if the 205 would improve my milage at all ? They are about 3-4lbs lighter a tire.

Reply to
Mike

If you plan to get 35-45k miles out of a tire Bridgestone Potenza RE-960 A/S might be a good starting point for you in the 205 55 R16. If 35-45k is not good enough people here swear by TripleTred :-] If RE960 3 season performance is not good enough Potenza 050A is the king of the summer hill now, but C&D for some reason gave the crown to F1 GS D3. Both of the latter two are not for driving on snow/ice though.

Whatever you do don't get tires with white sidewalls. Go for the black ones.

Reply to
Body Roll

Snow and ice isnt a issue here in GA. We may get a dusting or some freezing rain once or twice in the winter.But sticking with an all season just in case is a good idea. Standing water and flooded roads is a bigger issue. I ended up geting some Hankook V4 ES H105 ultra high performance all seasons in the 205/55. Not a very expensive 40,000 mile rated tire which should last me a good 2 years or more.

Reply to
Mike