Tougher tires for 2003 Legacy Outback wagon

I take my Outback on rough roads, with lots of large sharp rocks. I have a differential protector plate. However, my real concern is that the tires are not quite tough enough for this use -- I'm especially worried about side damage, and wonder if one can get tougher tires for this car -- recognizing that the limited wheel-well space also limits choices.

The car comes with P225/60R16 Bridgestone Potenzas. The right tire loses pressure much more quickly than the others; I don't see obvious dings on the rim, but there are some cm^2 areas where the black surface rubber (of the sidewalls) has been abraded down to the brownish material underneath.

Are there any options for "tougher" (particularly sidewall) tires for this car? I'd also like snow-rated tires, since I do travel on roads that are occasionally snow-covered in winter (I live in Las Vegas, NV).

Thanks.

Reply to
H.W. Stockman

I'd certainly not expect Bridgestone to tough it out. (Firestone !)

A Michelin tire for off road would be a possibility.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Michelin makes only one tire to fit the wheels of that car:

Reply to
H.W. Stockman

BF Goodrich makes outstanding offroad tires.

Can you find a T/A Radial KO in a size to fit your car? They have a huge Jeep & 4x4 truck following.

Reply to
Bonehenge

to investigate wheel/tire combos for your car check;

I know there is a 'gravel spec' michelin available - but maybe not in the states. try asking some of the Rallycross folks at

or just ask in the tire/wheel forum. There are also some off-road, rock crawler type folks at

Be careful about running with a low tire or different sized tires, especially on pavement (offroad less critical). you might toast the center diff.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I called tirerack today, after trying to navigate through the curious website. I spelled out my problems specifically for the slae/tech person, and he seemed to understand. Ultimately, he recommended either

Yokahama Geolander 35 or Firestone Wilderness

... as having somewhat beefier sidewalls, and retaining some snow capability. I have yet to find the Y 35s on that site, at least for my car.

Reply to
H.W. Stockman

bottom of this page;

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan
[...]

Thanks! Now I understand the nomenclature...

Reply to
H.W. Stockman