Towing a camper with a Forester

Hi to everyone

I am going to retire soon and am thinking of getting a small camper and tow it with my 2003 (automatic) Forester.

I towed a camper with my 1991 (automatic, cylinder) Camry for many years, and that car now has over 230K miles.

  1. What would be the maximum safe weight for a trailer with electric brakes?

  1. Should I install a transmission cooler? Where can I get one that fits a Subaru?

  2. Any comments on how well this car tows trailers?

  1. Any idea where I can get a good price on a tow hitch?

  2. I am looking at Casita and Aliner camping trailers. Has anyone pulled one of these?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mel

Reply to
Mel

I have a MT 2005 now, had a 2003 AT.

AT- 1000 lbs w/out brakes, 2000 with.

Check, you may already have one.

I towed a Jayco popup about 50 miles. Tongue weight 200 lbs. The vehicle was empty. I normally use a Honda Odyssey, I wouldn't want to go any distance using the Forester.

I use OEM Subaru, plug and play. Good wiring harness.

I looked at these, defiantly lighter than my Jayco. Would probable work better.

Reply to
mred

RTFM (Read The Fine Manual), as in your owners manual, you can get clost here

Look at lighter trailers, too, like pop-ups.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg