Towing a Subaru

Are there any issues with towing a Subaru automatic with all 4s on the ground? I don't think placing the AT in neutral would be enough, would it?

Reply to
Cameo

I had always heard that a flat bed truck is needed - all 4 wheels off the ground.

Reply to
Tim Conway

about the fourth post down the page. I've seen this information elsewhere so it is probably true, or close to true.

Reply to
John McGaw

Well, I don't think Subarus are good candidates for being towed by motorhomes. At least the AT-s are not.

Reply to
Cameo

The general answer for this has been 'no' in the past. The default condition with the engine turned off (IIRC) is, wet clutch pack fully engaged. This would lead to torque bind if the vehicle was towed on dry pavement. If the vehicle were also equipped with rear LSD - there may be additional stability problems.

For new models, I'd check with a dealer, cars101.com, endwrench , the car's manual.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I'm really sure I saw in the manual something about taking out one of the fuses to deactivate, oh, I don't know, but read the manual.

Yes, not safe to tow without preparation.

Nils K. Hammer

Reply to
synthius2002

That seems like the instructions for use of the undersized spare tire. Though, some folks have used the FWD fuse to bypass problems with a bad clutch-pack.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan