Trade-in and Added Security

I was in the process of trading-in a 2006 Outback 3.0 VDC that I'd purchased Added Security (7/100,000, $100 deductible) on. The car has 11,500 miles on it.

I paid the dealer (same one I am trading it in to) $1650, the price that I found online (they wanted the "standard" $1950), and, since it states on the back of the Added Security form you get that this MUST be refunded if the car is traded-in to a dealer (it can be transferred to the new owner, if sold privately, for $35), I fully expected and demanded to get back $1650 (maybe minus $35 or something for paperwork).

I was told that this will be pro-rated and I'll only be getting back $1350. Since Added Security can be bought at any time during the original warranty period, and, doesn't take affect until the original warranty period expires, I think I'm getting ripped off.

Any reason I should accept a "pro-rated" return of my money on Added Security?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Bradley

You seem to have a great point. None of that extended warranty has been used yet, and it sounds like the actual added security contract is pretty black and white about it.

If you dn't have the flexiblity to tell the dealer to then shove their deal up their butt (a one year old car like that will sell quickly and the dealer stands ot make good money on it i'm sure) my next phone call tomorrow would be to subaru of america and informing them that one of their dealers appears to be rewriting the added security contract to their own benefit, and ask if anyone can assist you in clarifying the disconnect (i.e. kicking somone's ass if appropriate).

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

For what it's worth, I just bought a new Outback and was of course offered the Subaru extended warranty during the sale. I declined, but the salesman told me that (1) the extended warranty actually starts at the time of sale, along with the regular warranties, and (2) you can buy the extended warranty any time before the 3 yr/36000 mi standard warranty is up.

If (1) above applies in your case, then the $1350 they are offering back reflects a little over a year you had all of the warranties in effect.

Reply to
Tcassette

Reply to
Bill Bradley