Trailer hitch on WRX... good or bad?

Hello all, I've put a trailer hitch on my 2004 WRX wagon, though I know that the dealership does not recommend it. I've heard this is due to the turbo, but I am unsure why this is the case. If I haul a boat (not a huge one--outboard motor on an aluminum boat, not sure the weight) twice a year for 3 hours, is this potentially damaging to the motor? I've heard if I do drive, I should drive at high rpms to reduce strain on the engine. Does anyone have suggestions, thoughts?

Reply to
etittmann

WRX's are not for towing. I'd say if you used the hitch for a bike rack no problem but I wouldnt tow with a turbo. When something goes it will be easy for dealer to see the hitch and say "engine /turbo/widget burned out from towing-- No warranty!!"

Reply to
jabario

There is a tow rating in the owner's manual - 1000 lbs w/o brakes and

2000 lbs w/ trailer brakes. It's reduced for AT with any uphill grades. However - it does state that "damage or malfunction caused by towing" isn't covered by the warranty.

It's basically - do it if you feel like it, but if you toast your transmission we're not paying for it.

Reply to
y_p_w

I have a Forester GT Turbo 2 litre with AT (in Australia). I have towed a braked trailer (a caravan) which weighs about 2000 lbs with the Forester for over 1500 miles (Brisbane to Sydney and return). I had an transmission oil cooler fitted, and there were no apparent problems with the engine or transmission at all - in fact it ran cool and went like a rocket. After the trip, the AT fluid was a little bit darkened so I changed it as a precaution, but I think that there is a over-temperature alarm in the AT if it runs too hot anyway. However, I wouldn't do that again, because the car is a bit light for that sort of weight behind it, and it felt just a bit unstable.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

Care to explain why Subaru markets a trailer hitch for use on WRX's??

In fact, they even mention that the SPT exhaust won't fit on a WRX if the Subaru trailer hitch is installed.

Reply to
CompUser

Bike racks?

Very low profile tires would not also not give me the warm fuzzies when thinking of towing with a WRX.

Reply to
B a r r y

I have a 2004 Turbo Forester and I see no such entry in my manual. I tow a trailer (up to about 1200#)) often with it and it performs just fine. I suspect that it's more a weight issue (the WRX being lighter).

My only complaint is the Subaru factory tow hitch is a bit whimpy. I'll be looking for a better aftermarket hitch at some point.

Cheers, Michael

Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm

A little OT but, what combos of perf mufflers and hitches (Sube or aftermarket) do work together? I may want to do this very thing soon.

tia

Carl

CompUser wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The load ratings are probably low on the hi-po tires-- light car, trailer and blowout no fun

Reply to
jabario

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com scribbled:

And why the heck not?

Reply to
Mark IV

Turbo jerks and will damage components when confronted with an xtra ton.

Reply to
jabario

You won't be getting any kind of logical answer ;-)

Reply to
CompUser

I have a hitch since fall 02. People have already talked about weight and loading the engine. Some other issues are AFR and heat. The AFR leans out when driving for a while on flat steady speed. Be a little careful riding on flat ground for a while and hit a steep hill. If you know a hill is coming up, do some small pulls beforehand. If you have the stock uppipe and TBE, it makes the exhaust gas much hotter than a non-catted uppipe and a TBE with a high flow cats. There has been documentation the stock exhaust temps (a few inches from the heads) commonly runs 150 to 300 degrees hotter. Once again loading the engine a few times before hitting a hill will help.

Reply to
Vince C