transmission and differential oil change for manual 2006 impreza

Hello, i change my engine oil today at a valvoline instant oil change center. I have a manual transmission and 46000 miles. I was told that the transmission oil must be changed every 30k miles. i thought manual cars would go a lot longer. They also said I have to change the differential oil every 15k miles. Are this numbers correct? would it be ok to change the differential and transmission oil at a valvoline instant oil change or should I go to the subaru dealership for this? Any one with high miles has experence with this?

Reply to
joe

Yes, I never change mine in a manual. And almost nobody changes the diffs either. 15k on the diff for an oil change is just nuts. They'll go a long time unless the oil leaks out.

Reply to
Bob Noble

What Bob sez.

While it never hurts to install fresh fluid, it isn't really necessary. I'd suggest waiting until you have to drain the tranny fluid _anyway_ for a clutch job or what ever, and then put synthetic fluid in both.

I put Redline synthetic in the '02 WRX I used to have, and was real happy with the results. Sure, it costs more, but the additional expense is insignificant compared to the hassle of doing the job.

Absolutely no reason why any competent wrench couldn't do this for you, or why you couldn't DIY for that matter,. 'Bout the only troublesome part of the job is getting the fill plug for the rear diff out; Subaru uses a killer-diller epoxy thread sealant here. Trick is to gently heat the area around the plug with a propane torch until you can easily gouge the threadlock compound with a sharp object. (It softens with heat, probably about 100-150C) The plug will then come out with only modest effort.

ByeBye! S.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like Redline synthetic is the stuff to use. I got 46k miles in my car and I got it yesterday. It was off somebody's lease. I will wait for my next oil change. I just got the service manual from ebay before asking anymore silly questions.

Reply to
joe

All fluids get changed at our shop every 30K; Auto trans gets a drain and fill from the pan, no filter change. Never do any diff's any earlier. As for the drain plugs, a big 1/2 inch long ratchet has never let me down. Getting the fluid our is easy, getting new fluid in can be hard. Turbo's have a smaller fill tube, more lible to burping; and why the fill tubes have to be so far down baffles me. About .75 qt for the rear (sti's have special fluid) 1.25 for the ft diff on a auto, about 3 qts on a standard manual.

Reply to
StephenH