Transmission problem with 2002 3.0 Outback H6

I have to admit that I know very little about cars, but would like someone to help me with this one.

I have a 2002 Outback 3.0H6 that I bought 8 months ago, and the transmission died and had to stripped and be fixed. The service report says that the transmission oil was burnt (I stopped as soon as the "at oil temp" light came on) and it had just had it's 100km service 2 days previously. The garage sent the transmission away and fixed it and also fitted an inline oil filer (?filter spelt wrong) and an external oil cooler.

It was an ex-company car done 84km and regularly serviced by Subaru dealer when I got it. I'm a mother so all my driving is boring domestic stuff. I live in a semi rural area, so it is a mix of town and country and a mix of shorter trips(2km and 12km) with a few 80km+ trips thrown in, almost never in traffic, and the car has been serviced every

10,000km.

- Could someone explain to me why they would have added the extra cooler and filer (or filter) into the car.

- I would have thought that you could expect a transmission to last longer than it did (just under 4 years/100km) Am I correct in my thinking?

- Any ideas why it would break - can you wreck a transmission with normal driving? Could something have gone awray at the service?

Hope you can help!

Reply to
Moi

My 2000 Subaru with an automatic transmission is going strong at

Reply to
Edward Hayes

It's purely speculation, but company cars, just like rental cars, are often driven hard and even abused. That could be the case with yours, but the repaired transmission should now be reliable and durable.

Reply to
lkreh

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks for your replies - the transmission fluid was changed at the

100k service (2 days before it broke) - is this the same as the oil?
Reply to
Moi

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Yes it was changed at the Subaru dealer - I did approx 300km between the service and the breakdown as we were going on holiday. Subaru covered half of the repairs, but I am seeing if i can get the rest either off the dealer who sold me the car, or the garage that serviced it. (both Subaru dealers)

Reply to
Moi

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I would definitely try to get the repair taken care of by Subaru. It's just too much a coincidence that the failure took place so close to the repair. I just bought a used Subie, and the first thing my mechanic did was check the fluid and report it seemed burnt and should be changed. They have the equipment to completely flush out the system, and replaced the fluid with synthetic. They also said it should be replace about every 30k, and based on what the previous owner told me we were right on schedule..

About the only thing I can think of that would destroy a transmission would be heavy towing. Also, bear in mind that Subaru's never got great reviews for having bullet proof automatic transmissions. Some mechanics frown on them. As for me, I just got tired of shifting, and I also have a sports car for fun. Don't need or want, at this point in my life, two cars with manual shifters. So far so good, and even the flush and synthetic fluid wasn't cheap.

Once sorted out, the cars should last forever.

Reply to
Sheldon

I've heard an opinion that Subaru transmissions can run a tiny bit hotter than others because of the AWD front differential being involved. It generates a lot of heat and is located right next to the tranny. I put a transmission cooler on my brand new Impreza for this reason alone.

MN

Reply to
MN

they drained the tranny and forgot to put the fluid back in

Reply to
bj

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks for your help - can I prove it? will it be my word against theirs? Any ideas? If they didn't put the fluid in would it take so long to crap out - ie not break down on the way home?

Reply to
Moi

Reply to
Edward Hayes