transmission problem with Legacy GT

I have a 2000 GT Legacy with 51,000 miles which developed a problem when put from reverse to forward. The car would not move until I pressed the gas pedal for awhile. I took it to a transmission shop which just advised me that the transmission needed rebuilt at a cost of $2-3,000. They also advised me that this is not uncommon for a subaru. Any one had experience with something like this? It seems that a new transmission for 51,000 miles is quite drastic!

Reply to
Yolande

It is uncommon for a subaru, especially at that low mileage. Try getting filter cleaned/changed and fluid changed for transmission. Unless you beat the crap out of your car, try the above first, not a new tranny yet, simply for the fact that it kicked in gear eventually. There is a schedule for that type of maintenance, I don't know what it is for your car. If it is 6 years on same fluid for trans, it's definately due for change/clean and filter.

Reply to
BARRY DONOVAN

I'd certainly recommend a second opinion if the recommended cost is that high! Do you have a good Subaru dealer in your area? If so I'd take it there for the second opinion.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

If you go to the Cartalk website, look under ACTUAL CAR INFORMATION (menu item up top), then scroll down to MECHANICS FILES, you will find a "rate your mechanic" area. It includes searchable files by zip code. Perhaps before you drop all that money, check up on your mechanic, and also find a second opinion in your area that was rated highly.

Good luck.

Reply to
ibuildthings