transmission slips when cold outside

my 92 legacy had been driving fine. I parked it overnight, and the temperature dropped down to about 32 degrees that evening. When I started it in the morning, I put it in drive, and I felt the transmission slipping. The transmission felt as if it was in neutral. When I put the transmission in (3), it would not slip. it actually seemed to run fine. But when I would return it to drive, it woud slip. So I drove it in (3). When the engine temperature increased to the normal range, I put it back in (D). The transmission stopped slipping and ran fine all day. After sitting for another cold evening, the problem has happened again. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Note: The ATF fluid level is normal (full). The fluid is clean, and does not smell burnt. Thanks again.

Reply to
ken

I know in later models (95 up) the trans is designed to not shift in to D4 or lockup (overdrive?) until the engine has reached a certain temp. The catch for you is it should do this while in D4, you shouldn't need to downshift to D3 to stop the slipping. I recommend a fluid flush/change.

Reply to
John

Thanks for the input. I will flush the and fill the tranny with new ATF. Now the car is doing something new. When started cold, it idles at around 850 rpm, then when put into gear, it stalls out. If let to idle until engine is warm, it runs fine. once again, any help would be apreciated.

Reply to
ken