Tribeca with shuddering automatic transmission

I have a new Tribeca with a little over 6000 miles. The problem is the transmission shudders when shifting from second to third gear at times. It is acting as if it can't quite make the shift and moves back and forth until it finally finds it.

My guess at first was the software that creates the shift. I took it to the Subaru dealer for the 6000 mile oil change and they were able to recreate the shudder. They erased and reloaded the memory in ECU and performed some other tests like line pressure, etc.

The problem still exists and I called the Service Manager to advise him. He is going to check with Subaru to see if there are any other reports of the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem in a Subaru transmission? What is happening is a little hard to describe, but as I said, it seems as if the transmission can't find third gear and is shifting back and forth rapidly trying to shift. I thought that maybe a valve is not opening or closing or a spring is not functioning properly, but I haven't worked on an automatic transmission for about 45 years and I believe that they have changed a little in that time.

Don Dunlap

Reply to
Don Dunlap

Try testing your tranny fluid level repeatedly under different conditions to see if the level is right. It is my experience that "full" one day is "not so full" the next day... so it is very easy for someone to "fill" it at a mechanic and have it need more fluid later. There are A LOT of knooks and crannies in there.....

Check your tire presure lately? Subaru transmissions and torque converters do not like even small differences in circomference of the tires. Even 1 pound off between left and right rear tires can cause shuddering under different conditions.

If you give it a little more or less gas when it shudders, what happens then? What RPM is the engine when it shudders?

Reply to
Ratatooie

The car is so new that I have not even thought to check the transmission level. I 'assume' that the service dept. at the dealer checked it when I brought it in. I'll check it now though.

I check the tire pressure every week. No problems there.

The shudder doesn't occur at any set RPM. If I am accelerating heavily, the RPM is naturally high and under normal driving conditions, the RPM varies. The shudder takes place regardless of RPM. I have tried giving it more gas at the time of the shudder and it makes it worse. Giving it less, it drops back to second.

It is a mystery!!

Don

Reply to
Don Dunlap