turbo unit on WRX

My turbo doesnt seem to work!... I go over 4500rpm and the revs burst up to

7000rpm and when I let go the dump valve kicks in... Thing is I don't have the shove in the back like I used to. Can anyone shed any light on the reason why this is? Is my Turbo dead?

Anyone help me pleae cheers Spirit

Reply to
spirituk

Actually it sounds like your clutch is dead, and is slipping under load. The symptoms you describe are the signs of a worn and slipping clutch.

Reply to
mulder

Any mods on it ? Have a boost gauge ?

Reply to
Mike

Checking whether the clutch is slipping or not is easy: High gear, low revs. Put the car under full throttle and see what's happening. Indication of a worn and slipping clutch is the following: Revs go up but car does not accelerate, as the torque cannot be transmitted anymore.

The way you described (revs go right up all the way to 7000 rpm is looking very much like a slipping clutch. No danger of damaging the gearbox when trying the above, though.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Michael Szoenyi

Thanks very much for your comments. It'll be worth it when I take the car back to complain thank you.

Reply to
spirituk

The clutch will slip if any of that gear oil got onto it.

Reply to
johninKY

That is a good mileage for the clutch on a Rex. Ham-footed drivers get through them in 25,000 miles or less.

As I have pointed out on this forum many times, powerful all-wheel-drive cars are unable to spin their wheels on a brisk take-off like a conventional two-wheel-drive car. As a result, the clutch has to slip instead. The alternative would be to break driveshafts or gear trains, which would be far more expensive.

Simply regard the clutch as a consumable, like tyres and brakes. David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk British Racing Green

David Betts

Rapid clutch wear is not a given on the WRX. I've got 80K on my original clutch and it's still fine, feels about the same as when it was new. I know others with 100K+. It's all about how the car is driven.

Reply to
mulder

hmmm I tried out today with the high gear low revs and putting the foot down....The car just starteded to creep up to normal revs as it would do. (like massive turbo lag) then when it hits the hot spot, the engine roars off, but with not much of a push. The turbo does kick in but nowhere near the power it had. When I last spoke to the garage, they said that there was a crack in the plasic pipe running to the dump valve, from the intercooler. The dump valve pipe completley covers this crack, and seems a snug fit. This is where he says I'm losing power.

Ps The car is classic 1995 WRX import. with one cat on the downpipe and the other removed. Thats all I know on the car. But before the bearings were done, (I'm still really running the bearings in) the car was pushing near

300bhp. So you can see I had a big push in the back.

Does this sshhed any more light on it?

Thanks for all the responses... I really didn't think anyone would take the time to write to me Thanks gain Chris

Reply to
spirituk

If the engine were losing power due to a problem with the turbo or whatever, it would have difficulty gaining RPMs. The only way that RPMs can suddenly increase while in gear is if the clutch slips, either because you stepped on it or because it's worn and it let go. You need a new clutch! You may also need a new shop if they really don't know this. The car will have to come apart to inspect the clutch and make the necessary repairs.

Reply to
mulder

Obviously the clutch will last much longer on a car which spends most of its time cruising at constant speed on freeways.

The feel of the clutch is no indication of wear. It is sefl-adjusting. Won't start to feel different until the adjustment runs out.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk British Racing Green

David Betts

Typically the engagement point will get higher on the pedal as the disc wears until it can no longer full engage, and it begins to slip. Although I don't use the car for competion such as drag and auto-x, I have spent many hours in slow traffic which requires a lot of clutch use. I do plenty of up- and down-shifting.

Reply to
mulder

Depends on the clutch type. A hydraulic clutch doesn't change its engagement point. This is the case in my car ('92 legacy turbo)

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Michael Szoenyi