Typical markup on parts

Threaded View
I wonder what kind of markups repair shops use on parts they provide. Is
there some industry standard for that or is it -- basically -- what the
shop thinks the customer can afford?

Re: Typical markup on parts

That's exactly it. I know it after running into a ripoff manager
at a repair chain once. The guy was booted from like half a dozen
places before our paths crossed.

Fuck, he was goooood. And I was not savvy enough at the time
to file (yet another I'm sure) complaint to the BBB.

I'm sure the service manager who knows EXACTLY how much he can get
away with is golden to his employer. Not that it's limited
to the car repair business I;'m sure, but it's less likely for
car repair clientele to crossshop for obvious reasons.

So it's suckers takers paradise. In my [very depressing] view of that
industry.

Re: Typical markup on parts

Can't answer today but many years ago when my brother was service
manager at a Chevy dealer markup was about 100%.  When I got repairs I
paid normal service charges but he supplied parts at cost and I saved a
bundle.

Brother knew all parts and service costs at GM.
Now he drives an Outback.
What does that tell you?

Re: Typical markup on parts

This pretty depressing indeed. Those shops can make more of their income
as part dealers than mechanics from their labor.

Re: Typical markup on parts

I'm not sure but never assume a dealership makes most of its profits off
new sales and that shop and used cars may not pull in more.

I have on a good source that Subaru dealer I go to makes most of his
profit on used cars.

My brother abandoned GM cars for two reasons: they were junk and repair
costs and maintenance were more in the long run.  Lot of profit in the
repair and the parts.

After retiring, he worked part time for a car rental agency and became
familiar with other cars and found them superior.

His new cars thereafter are a Nissan Sentra and the Subaru Outback.