Typical markup on parts

I wonder what kind of markups repair shops use on parts they provide. Is there some industry standard for that or is it -- basically -- what the shop thinks the customer can afford?

Reply to
cameo

That's exactly it. I know it after running into a ripoff manager at a repair chain once. The guy was booted from like half a dozen places before our paths crossed.

Fuck, he was goooood. And I was not savvy enough at the time to file (yet another I'm sure) complaint to the BBB.

I'm sure the service manager who knows EXACTLY how much he can get away with is golden to his employer. Not that it's limited to the car repair business I;'m sure, but it's less likely for car repair clientele to crossshop for obvious reasons.

So it's suckers takers paradise. In my [very depressing] view of that industry.

Reply to
AD

Can't answer today but many years ago when my brother was service manager at a Chevy dealer markup was about 100%. When I got repairs I paid normal service charges but he supplied parts at cost and I saved a bundle.

Brother knew all parts and service costs at GM. Now he drives an Outback. What does that tell you?

Reply to
Frank

This pretty depressing indeed. Those shops can make more of their income as part dealers than mechanics from their labor.

Reply to
cameo

I'm not sure but never assume a dealership makes most of its profits off new sales and that shop and used cars may not pull in more.

I have on a good source that Subaru dealer I go to makes most of his profit on used cars.

My brother abandoned GM cars for two reasons: they were junk and repair costs and maintenance were more in the long run. Lot of profit in the repair and the parts.

After retiring, he worked part time for a car rental agency and became familiar with other cars and found them superior.

His new cars thereafter are a Nissan Sentra and the Subaru Outback.

Reply to
Frank