tyre pressure for 215/40/17's please ??

what is the right tyre pressure for a Goodyear F1 tyre please. size

215/40/17.. .

thank you

Reply to
Subaru Sti v4

The amount that is usually posted on the door latch pillar and in the manual. TW

Reply to
TW-Ohio

I checked the door sticker says 33 front 31 rear but they are for 16" tyres not my 17"!. I live in the uk and my car is a import jap spec sti.. .

Reply to
Subaru Sti v4

You may need to experiment but as a very general rule, the wider and probably the greater circumference the new tire is versus the stock tire the LESS pressure would be required. I doubt it would be more than 2-3 psi less though. If you race, monitor the handling, if not, monitor the wear - too low pressure, wear on the outside - too high, wears the center (assuming proper toe and other alignment).

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Subaru Sti v4 wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

size

Why not check at your local tire reseller as I am sure that he will have publications with the correct pressure for your size vehicle.

Bq

Reply to
bquinn

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:23:23 GMT, "Subaru Sti v4" wrote in news:3f196716 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com:

14, 15, 16, 17 inch, the pressures should be about the same.

While different tire models (even the same size) may require different pressures to match the preferred ride/handling trade-offs, the starting point should be the recommended pressures on the sticker. Move upwards from there until handling becomes better and the ride gets to your tolerance for harshness. This is a very rough guide. There is no absolute 'right' pressure for any car/driver combination.

The pressures are calculated to provide the right size tire patch area which is relatively constant for each model of tire. Only the shape of the patch area may change.

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.