UK Forester Turbo Timing Belt

Hello everybody,

My local Subaru main dealer is recommending changing the timing belt on my Forester S Turbo at the 45000 mile service. However, the owner's manual says 60000 miles.

Anybody have an opinion on this? Is the dealer trying to make some extra cash out of me, or is 45000 miles really the recommended change interval for cam belts?

Cheers

MH

Reply to
MH

Go for 59,000 miles on the belt as that gives you some cushion with the

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Manufacturers recommendation for my wife's '98 Forester states 60,000mls OR

4 years for replacement - yours may be at or near the 'age' limit despite lower miles. Not worth the risk if that is the case (IMHO!)

Regards Greg

Reply to
Gregory Anderson

Hello all

Thanks for the replies to my post about cam belt replacement on the Forester Turbo. In answer to some of the comments - the warranty does not apply to my car (it was a "grey" import carrying a 12-month warranty only), and the car is exactly 3 years old so the 4-year replacement rule also does not apply.

I raised the issue again with the Subaru dealer when I took the car in for service on Friday, and it seems that the confusion may be due to:

a) Impreza turbo models do specify a 45000 mile belt replacement, and therefore some garages also apply this rule (wrongly?) to the Forester turbo.

b) Apparently the service interval has changed from 7500/15000 miles on the 2000 and earlier cars to a 10000 mile interval on 2001 and later models, where a 50000 mile cam belt replacement is recommended (can anybody confirm this, by the way?).

Anyway, I declined to have the cam belt changed by the dealer this time - I'll have it done at the next service. Here's hoping I have made a wise choice....

MH.

Reply to
MH