Um, what do you store in that shallow tray above the spare tire?? ('03 OBW)

Okay - so yesterday I transferred some of my items from my old winter car to the Subie wagon. Put my little first-aid kit in the wall compartment by the hatch opening. Put work gloves in the other wall compartment where the jack is. Then I pulled up the carpet floor and tried to put my little toolbox kit in that storage tray....NOT. I tried every which way to fit it, but the compartments are not large enough. Then I pulled the tray out and tried to put the toolkit on top of the spare tire. Still wouldn't fit - it stuck up a little too far so the tray wouldn't sit flat when I'd put it back on top.

So I ended up bungeeing the toolkit along the side wall using the front and rear tie-down latches to anchor the bungee cord. All I was able to put in the storage tray was a thin blanket.

So....do YOU use that storage tray, and for what?

Reply to
M. Baker

Flares, MREs, and christmas presents I don't want the wife to find.

Reply to
.._..

This time of year, it carries survival stuff. Extra gloves, a big knot hat, wool socks, and a pile of chemical hand warmers. Sometimes I'll put some Power Bars in there, but I get hungry and eat them. Oh, and there's one of those small phone books. The coffee can with candles and matches doesn't fit, so that's in the back flying around when I turn. Maybe I should tie that down.

In the summer it carries extra maps, rain gear, small tools for fixing baseball-related things (I coach kids), and who knows what else. Lots of bungees in there, too. Oh, and an extra quart of oil.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Extra pints of whiskey and smokes.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

A wide assortment of adult toys, condoms, and lubes.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Fishing pole & gun

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Couple of bottles of wine; in case I go visiting and they have run out/run short/ don't have any red.

Reply to
bugalugs

jumper cables, knife, leather gloves, rope, bungee cords, fuses, misc. Also keep a fire extinguisher in wall compartment.

Reply to
lkreh

Jumper cables on top of the spare. I made a little cut-out in the tray about 1/2 inch and store the star wrench there. Also a small socket set, squashed roll of paper towels, the torx for the crossbars, some bungees if I dont need them in the back, a pair of work gloves.

-- John

Reply to
John

I believe that you're referring to the round tray that rests on/in the spare tire. I have a jumper cable coil in there.

No, the tray in my OBW isn't round. It's rectangular with 2 compartments, and lifts off the spare tire, underneath the carpet in the cargo area.

Anyway, you guys (well, most of you anyway) have given me some good ideas - a few more bungee cords, some rope, some paper towels or small shop rags, and jumper cables of course.

Reply to
M. Baker

I didn't see a tray in the center of the spare, but it does make a damned good location for jumper cables, a GI shovel, a canvas bucket, and a tow rope. Keeps the US Forest service happy.

The tray's got a moderate assortment of tools and survival gear.

Reply to
nobody >