unconnected green conectors

hey everyone that may be able to help me this is long winded and i am sorry in advance. i just want to be as descriptive as possible, i have recently prchased a 2000 outback, legacy. and as cliche'd as i try not o be i did not notice these connectors being unconnected when i had my mechanic give it his inspection,everything about the car seemed nice although there was a cracked cv boot, and only the boot. that appeared to be the major drawback as well . although he and i were a bit un-accustomed to the way subaru engines sound so we took it to a subaru dealer and the mechanics as well as the salespersons said it indeed sounded fine and how it should, tonight wheni was going to the station i noticed some thing touching my shoe so i felt around down around the location of the gas pedal up under where the wiring hanesses go and felt that a connector was dangling, so when i got to the station i looked under and saw that theese connectors were green and when i connected them the check engine light started flashing, what circuit would these connectors be most likely for, they are right under the front drivers side instrument console right above where your right toes are pointing, right above the gas pedal, O2 sensors hopefully??? if i cannot remedy this by disconnecting the battery for

10 secs ill have to get it diagnossed, lame.!!!!!!!!! i just got the car, its always the thing you overlook..
Reply to
evernoob

Yeah, those are likely the alternate diagnostic readout connection. leave them disconnected.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

"evernoob" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Good news!

Those connectors are not supposed to be connected under normal operating conditions. They are for tripping the ECU to make it flash out any stored trouble codes. If there are no stored codes they output a string of flashes telling what type of transmission is installed and whether it is a CA or 49 state model. Just disconect them and tuck them up out of the way.

Later, Joe

Reply to
Joe Kultgen

It's a test connector that is only connected to pull codes. Unplug it and forget about it.

Reply to
johninKY

Those sound like the ECU test mode connectors (they're green on my '02 WRX)...leave them disconnected.

Brent.

in turn you saved the salesperson from a beatdown(j/k). i almost peed my pants!!!! thanks guys

Reply to
evernoob