upshift question on WRX

Ey guys I recently acquired an 04 WRX an i'm loving every mile of it. I've already put in 700 miles the first 3 days :) I drove up the mountains twice.

So anyway, I've got a performance driving question: When I rev it up on first and upshift about 6K rpm to 2nd (also happens when i rev it up and upshift on any gear) the car jerks, is there anyway (shifting technique) to avoid this?

I've thought about shift to third directly but it won't have that much pull when I do it.

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Reply to
Jon

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:42:31 GMT, "Jon" scribbled:

Does letting out the clutch slowly work?

I would imagine not so.

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

Just keep practicing until you get it right. You probably need to slow it down just a tad....don't let your left foot jerk of the clutch; it should be coming up smoothly right to the end of the stroke whilst you gently pick up the throttle again with the right foot. All about timing and sensitivity - a bit like sex really.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

It isn't wise to rev that high on your engine until it's broken in.

Reply to
Greg

Gee; you must not want to keep your car long if you are abusing it with hi rev and load before a correct break-in.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Even the owners manual says it's ok to do in emergencies ;-)

Plus - probably 75% of the WRX's out there were test driven more than once by people who weren't very "break-in friendly" - and that's when the engine is brand spankin' new and, even worse, hasn't been given a chance to warm up...

I don't think a little spirited driving here and there is going to hurt anything - it's no worse than tooling around with the engine at a constant speed for a long time when breaking in the engine.

Reply to
David & Caroline

i think "correct break in" is done at the factory, waaaaay before you ever get your mits on the car.

i drove it increasingly harder throughout the whole 1000 miles and the car runs VERY well. i have vanishingly little oil consumption.

anyway, short blocks are cheap. ;)

jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Smooth clutch technique will eliminate most of it, but there is a lotta slop in the AWD drive train, and that's probably most of what you're feeling. You'll get used to it after awhile.

ByeBye! S.

how do you know what the perfect rev-match is? What is it for the WRX? What about the Forester XT?

Thanks, david

Reply to
David J.

that's just practise! :-) spend time shifting back and forth between two consecutive gears, attempting to make the change imperceptible.

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert