Urgent how to remove turn signal lamp?

I need to get the right turn signal lamp out to check the bulb. It has been into the dealer twice and had the connector replaced and the bulb (seat) "tweaked", but still it either quits blinking or blinks rapidly. Something is loose or wrong and I thought I'd take a look at it since I can't keep going to the dealer to fix/replace bulbs.

I've taken out the screw, but don't know where the plastic piece is that's preventing me from pulling it forward. I pushed a plastic retainer piece through the inside of the frame under the hood, but it must be for some other part so now I'm committed to getting it out and fixing what I've done.

TIA

Noob :-) and lovin' this car

Reply to
yubbadoo

It would help to post exactly what car you have.

Reply to
mulder

OK, I played with it and popped it out (thankfully didn't break anything). The bulb flashes rapidly if I insert it one way, but won't twist into the connector slots. If I put it in the other way, it doesn't blink. Maybe I'll just go buy a new bulb in case someone put in the wrong kind?? Any other suggestions?

If anyone still has advice on the safest way to pop that out of the "retainer" clips, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to scrape paint and break plastic using a screwdriver all the time.

Thanks again in advance.

Reply to
yubbadoo

Sorry, 99 outback legacy

Reply to
yubbadoo

The turn signals flashing rapidly indicate a bulb is out someplace or the bulb is the wrong type. The flasher unit is designed to flash faster when the current through it drops below normal, to warn you when there is a bulb out. Put the hazards on, and check all four corners to see if any other bulbs are not working. To see if the bulb is the proper type, look at the one on the other side or check your owners manual if you have it, the info is in there.

Reply to
mulder

Thanks again for your quick reply....you guys are awesome. My bulb says 1157A and the manual only says 1157. It also says S2A MO. All the other lights work, BUT this bulb only blinks correctly when I insert it one way (which doesn't allow it to twist into the connector - the hazards blink normally, but the right turn signal still blinks rapidly). The other way twists into the connector, but nothing lights.

I'm going to call the local parts store to see if they can look up the bulb.

I REALLY appreciate all the help I've gotten here.

Reply to
yubbadoo

The hazards WILL blink normally, I suggested that as a way to check all the bulbs to see if you have another one out. I'm not 100% sure if the 1157 and 1157A are interchangeable.

Reply to
mulder

A is for amber. My NAPA parts guy thought maybe a spring was stuck, but everything "looked" OK. I found the contact cleaner and sprayed everything down. I think the wiring plug at the connector end was dirty.

Anyway, problem solved for at least an hour or two.

We're off for a drive in the Rockies.

Thanx

Reply to
yubbadoo

See if the lamp gets a good ground. I've had to bend the metal clip inside the turn signal socket once because it was barely touching the lamp and the signal lamp worked intermittently.

florian /FFF/

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

Isn't this the 99 Legacy Outback group?

SCNR,

florian /FFF/

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

You mean like, ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON - etc?

Reply to
l.lichtman

Kind of witty, congrats. ;-) No - it either worked or didn't. As in on OR off.

florian /FFF/

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/