USA Forester XT Tire pressure question

USA Forester XT 2005 Can anyone advise a good (safe)tire pressure to maximize gas mileage? I know what Subaru advises, but suspect that that is to maximize ride comfort. Tires are the original Geolanders. I want to increase gas mileage, but not take a chance on irregular treadwear due to overinflation. Car is driven primarily 85/15 ( % city/highway). Climate is hot, though cooling somewhat (daytime to 95°F in the Las Vegas NV area). Thanks

Reply to
QX

Edward Hayes

I think the recommemded PSI on the door jam is 28 PSI for the front and

27 PSI for the rear... I find that too low and I'm happy with 35 front / 34 rear PSI. I've been using 35/34 PSI since I bought my 05 X and rotates every 6k miles. No unusual wear at 13k miles. I've heard that if you use the recommended PSI, the outer edges wear out first. Check out
forums.
Reply to
racerx000

Higher pressure (to a reasonable point) reduces hydroplaning though. Everything is a balancing act between wet/dry braking, steering response, fuel economy, etc. The Tirerack has some interesting pictures of the tire footprint of the same tire at 25, 30, and

35 PSI.

Also - a good tire pressure should be tire dependent. Some tires just work better at higher pressure than you see in the door jamb.

Reply to
y_p_w