Used Outback 3.0 H6 advice

I am thinking of replacing my 99 Outback with a 2002 Outback 3.0 H6 with

50K miles. Any advice on things I should be looking out for ?

TIA

Reply to
BrritSki

Look for all 4 tires to be the same brand/model with equal wear. Make sure the FWD fuse is NOT in the fuse block under the hood and the FWD light is off on the instrument cluster. THEN, do some slow, tight turns or figure eights in a dry parking lot somewhere and try to sense any 'jerkiness' while maneuvering. Take it on some clear highway - try to cruise at 75mph. Then stomp the gas as if to pass. Try to feel for a very hard downshift. Ours has done this since we bought it. It is only annoying on cross-country trips and no mechanic seems to be able to duplicate it. Setting the cruise on 75 or 80 and going up a grade in southern Colarado will make it downshift VERY hard - 'most' times. If you will be using the car in this way a lot

- make sure it doesn't exhibit this behavior. If you hear wind noise - likely the 'gussets' near the mirror on the doors need squeezing together. Lowere the windows and squeeze the rubber together. There is some kind of TSB I think for internal adjustment/rubber replacement - but if you squeeze them together occasionally and train yourself to avoid pushing the galls when closing the doors, they stay OK for a very long time. Make sure the A/C is working. I think some bad hoses have been found around that year model on the compressors (had my wife's 03 a/c hoses replaced barely under warranty). Consider paying a good mechanic $100 or so to inspect it "as if he were buying it for his wife/daughter" if you have the slightest concerns. Also, be aware that car is probably gonna run best on hi or maybe mid-grade gasoline.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl, thanks for some great tips.

Not sure what "the galls" are though - can't see an obvious typo, so could you explain please ? Thanks again, Roger

Reply to
BrritSki

Pushing the windows, perhaps, to close the door? You're not supposed to push against the window when closing a frameless door as the window has no support until closed, and may not close correctly because you can be forcing the window out of alignment, along with trim / moulding pieces.

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

HAH! yes - sorry that should be 'glass'! I really should learn to use spell check I suppose!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks for the clarification (and to Brian too). Fortunately I don't ever do this, so shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
BrritSki