Used Subarus are hard to find?

Well, I'm finally in the market to replace my old 2000 OBW. I don't want to spend too much I was thinking going with a 2007 or 2008. So went down to a couple of the local Subie dealerships, and they had next to no old Subies for sale. Looks like they won't go even as old as 2010. Is this a new marketing tactic for Canadian Subaru dealerships, i.e. not to stock used Subarus anymore? When I bought my 2000, it was a couple of years old, and the dealership I went to had plenty of used ones for sale, this is the same dealership which now no longer has any.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

When I went looking for a used Sub in 2001, all I could find here in Milwaukee were over 10 years old. I bought a 2001 OBS. When I went looking again in 2007, same thing, only old ones available, bought a

2007 OBS. Any used ones the dealers get are sold fast.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

No dealership - of ANY brand, keeps cars over 5 years old on the lot

- and with many Soob owners holding on to their cars longer, there are few making it onto dealer lots. The ones that show up as trades get handed off to used car lots to sell, and the ones that are kept for 10 years or longer end up in the scrapyard. 656 used Soobs on Autotrader within 100km of Waterloo, Ontario.304 2007 0r older.201 under 10,000, 146 if you limit yourself to no older than 2002 and nothing less than $3000.

Reply to
clare

to spend too much I was thinking going with a 2007 or 2008. So went down to= a couple of the local Subie dealerships, and they had next to no old Subie= s for sale. Looks like they won't go even as old as 2010. Is this a new mar= keting tactic for Canadian Subaru dealerships, i.e. not to stock used Subar= us anymore? When I bought my 2000, it was a couple of years old, and the de= alership I went to had plenty of used ones for sale, this is the same deale= rship which now no longer has any. Yousuf Khan

My local dealership makes more money off used Subaru's than they do new one= s. Not sure what is going on in Canada but used cars are also somewhat scarce = too and prices are up. Best for you to just buy a new one.

Reply to
Frank

spend too much I was thinking going with a 2007 or 2008. So went down to a couple of the local Subie dealerships, and they had next to no old Subies for sale. Looks like they won't go even as old as 2010. Is this a new marketing tactic for Canadian Subaru dealerships, i.e. not to stock used Subarus anymore? When I bought my 2000, it was a couple of years old, and the dealership I went to had plenty of used ones for sale, this is the same dealership which now no longer has any. Yousuf Khan

and prices are up. Best for you to just buy a new one. With the incentives today on new vehicles, it's getting to the point buying used does not make ecconomic sense unless the car is 6 to 19 years old.

Reply to
clare

Have you checked for 'program cars'? That is how I got my Outback -- it was precisely a year old coming off of rental and carried a full new-car warranty. Not as old as you specified but possibly better than no Subie at all. I'm assuming here that all of North America handles such things the same way as the US does but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer. There are only a relatively small number of these cars allotted to each dealership; my dealer is fairly large but only sees four or five of them every calendar year.

Reply to
John McGaw

Me, too. I got mine at a Subaru dealership that had bought some 1-year-old cars from Hertz. It was in excellent shape; they had even replaced the windshield due to sand damage from the car having been based in Reno.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

spend too much I was thinking going with a 2007 or 2008. So went down to a couple of the local Subie dealerships, and they had next to no old Subies for sale. Looks like they won't go even as old as 2010. Is this a new marketing tactic for Canadian Subaru dealerships, i.e. not to stock used Subarus anymore? When I bought my 2000, it was a couple of years old, and the dealership I went to had plenty of used ones for sale, this is the same dealership which now no longer has any. Yousuf Khan

and prices are up. Best for you to just buy a new one.

Yeah, it's looking like I'm gonna have to do that. But it's going to bust my budget somewhat.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Yes, actually that's one of the things I've now been offered by the dealership. The price is reasonable for a new car this way, but still slightly above my original planned budget, but I'll have to see how flexible I can make my budget. Trying to avoid getting a loan.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Have you looked on Ebay? There are over 60 Outbacks for sale by dealers. Is it a big hassle to get one from the U.S. into Canada? That might be a good excuse for a winter vacation.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'm actually not sure how Ebay works for automobiles. I use it quite often for little things that cost a few bucks.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Many availbale here in Madison, WI. Both from dealers and owners. The easiest way to search for both these days, it seems, is via your local Craigslist.

Reply to
DK

What's wrong with Auto Trader?

Reply to
clare

Nothing's wrong! Excellent route if you search mainly through dealers' offerings. Not so good for private sales - 2 in my area as opposed to about 20 on Craigslist.

DK

Reply to
DK

My son bought a car on eBay several years ago. He had to fly to Cleveland and drive it back to Virginia. He seems to be happy with it.

Reply to
John Varela

The great thing about eBay Motors is that you get nice photos of some really nifty cars. There's nowhere else to view photos of vintage and rare cars. eBay is also a source for photos of vintage and rare guitars. It's the largest gallery for cars and guitars in the world. A most amazing resource!

Reply to
dsi1

Ah, well that wouldn't interest me in the least, I'm afraid.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I wonder if availability is dependent on the local climate of the region? Subarus are pretty popular up here because of the cold climate.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I was just making the point that a car purchase thru eBay can be done successfully.

Reply to
John Varela

Yeah, I understand, I just don't have the kind of energy to look for a car clear across the country like your son. :)

Reply to
Yousuf Khan