Valve Clatter

I have A 1999 Forester with 100K miles and it has a light valve clatter (seems to have always had some, esp when cold) that has gotten a little more noiser. Is this fairly typical of these boxer engines? Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Typical of a boxer with hydraulic valve lash adjusters but can be remedied with some engine oil cleaner. Sold at most auto parts stores - gunk brand or something similar. You put it in the crankcase and run the engine at idle for about 5 minutes and then change the oil. Follow the directions on the bottle exactly. You don't want to step on the accelerator while it is in there. This stuff really works - I have used it on multiple subarus with great success. It was actually recommended by a suby technician.

Reply to
Rat

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I've had subarus since 1986, three of them. They all seem to have a rythmic tap akin to old air-cooled volkswagens, especially the older ones.

Thanks all for the feedback. I ain't so worried now. I'll try the engine oil cleaner method and push on to 200K....Mark

Reply to
Mark