very loud tranny "hum" noise

MY05 WRX (US Version), 5-speed MT, 8,500 miles.

Recently there has been a loud tranny hum in my car. It sounds exactly like a tire noise, but is only present in 5th gear, 63-65MPH at 2400-2500 RMP.

I know this is a very narrow band, but it only occurs in 5th gear, 63-65MPH @ 2400-2500 RMP and it quite loud.

Very loud, middle-to-high pitch. The minute I put in the clutch it goes. I cannot replicate the noise at same speed or RPM in 3rd or 4th gear. So it _IS_ tranny and not tires, although it sounds exactly like a tire hum on a concrete highway with rain grooves in it. My oil change guy just checked the fluid full a few weeks ago, so I doubt that's the problem.

Any ideas/suggestions before I go to the dealer? It's loud and annoying and wasn't there 1000 miles ago for sure, maybe not even 500 miles ago.

Mike

Reply to
Mike