Vibration and noise from front end

I have a 2001 Forrester, 145000 miles Automatic. We are getting a vibration at about 55mph and up. problem is not tires . Have had one axle changed due to bad boot. My local mechanic looked at it and said the noise was coming from the transaxle. Question, anybody had this problem? After looking at the transaxle drawing I think It might be the bearings in the differential. Can these be changed without removing the motor and trans.

Reply to
jjohnson04

That's the first thing I'd look at, if its not the tires, are they new or some other reason?

Could be a bad axle was installed. Was it new or a remanufactured unit?

Is the vibration occuring when coasting in neutral or does it only occur on acceleration? Does the vibration occur at the same rpms in a different gear? Does your brake pedal pulsate when applied?

Does it only occur on acceleration?

Reply to
John

Have you swapped the tires front to rear ? Is it still there ?

Have had one axle changed due to bad boot.

Reply to
Bugalugs